Chapter 6

"Ava has grow up to be a beautiful lady now. I remember how just yesterday I held tiny Ava and now here she is growing up like a exquisite flower and blossoms wonderfully." The Queen smiling gently at me.

          "To have her as my daughter like a gift for me."

The words didn't intended to mock me but instead it was sincerely spoken for me. I felt her sincerity through her words. I didn't know the Queen was fond of me until now.

As the Queen smiled fondly to me, the King patted her hands slowly and gave me the same smile.

        "Ava, it's really our gift to have you as our daughter. When you were a little, the smiles and laughters bring a ray of light in our life." The King reminisced those day smilingly. 

        "That day I was so jealous with your father that I determined to have daughter too but luck was not at our side." His smiled looked a bit sad at my eyes when he spoke to me about his desire to have a daughter.

        "But I was happy if I can have you as my daughter. If you're willing to, I need no daughter anymore"

The King told me his thoughts and his eyes radiated gentleness and fondness towards me. I blinked my eyes few times to clear the tears that started to form in my eyes. 

Did I do something that deserves this much love from them? 

Their words sound so sincere and genuine that it left a tingling warm sensation in me.

But, no matter how much they love me, the prince still loved another. Ava tried so hard to receive his love but she was presented with death sentence instead.

        "Sister, you shouldn't cry. It's a happy occasion."

Livia looked at me and started to comfort me when she saw tears managed to escape my eyes. Easton hugged me and laughter could been heard echoing in the garden. 

I was perplexed with the tears on my face. Why I was felt this emotional was a mysterious for me. 

         "My, don't cry my dear. Don't be scared." The Queen consoled and assured me.

         "We don't want to force you. We'll accept any decision you make."

Hearing those did a trick on me. I started to feel a bit calm. After calming myself down, I started to talk. I want them to hear my sincere and honest thoughts about this matter.

          "I'm sorry for the commotion. Your Majesty, thank you for your kind words. I just being overwhelmed with all your love just now. It caught me off-guard that it baffles me." I shyly lowered my head to my behaviour earlier.

          "It's truly a blessing to receive such love from you. No words can describe my thankfulness. To be a daughter for you also like a gift for me"

Once I finished, the Queen stood up and walked hastily towards me. Before I could respond to her, I was embraced in her arms. I stood frozen for a while and lifted my arms to hug her back. She caressed my hair and muttered "Thank you"  to my ear.

I didn't know if my decision was a right thing but even if the engagement or marriage cannot be avoided in the future, I still will make sure my family is safe. So do I.

 Even I have to lost my heart in the process, I will do that. And now I had another two persons I need to ensure their safety and happiness, the Queen and the King.

I note to myself to frequently visit them in the future. The present sovereign only had Prince Noah as their child, thus it must be that reason why they are so eager to have a daughter. They must feel lonely in the huge palace.

The tea talk was concluded with my engagement and the prince set on next year. Although it was agreed to be done next year, only four months left before next year to come.

**********

For the next two months, I attended the college as usual and finished my etiquette lessons. It took a toll on me as I was not getting enough sleep and rest. The advanced classes and horse riding currently proceeding as my request. As busy as I was with all those classes and lessons, final exams will be held next month.

I was resolved to stay on top 20 for my grades. I was studying hard when Emmy could take my state anymore and worried I will collapsed at any moment. She brought me out to the town after getting permission from our parents. We didn't managed to go out last time because of unexpected tea talk and my full schedule.

I was on the carriage to the town with my siblings. Livia and Easton tagged along with us. I wore a simple square neck cuffed long sleeves khaki green gown. After about twenty minutes, we arrived at the bustling town.

From a far, I could heard shouting from the merchants. I stepped outside and waited for my siblings. Line of stalls could be seen in the pathway. On the side you could see various stores lined up. We strolled the town for a while until we decided to stop at a tea shop.

Before we could stepped in the shop, a small figure bumped into me. I looked downward and saw a small girl with tattered clothes. She was catching her breath while glancing fearfully at her back.

I sensed something from her act and looked forward to see two bulky men were currently running at our direction. My instinct told me something was not right and quickly hid the child behind me while Easton and Livia shielded her away. 

Emmy grabbed my hand tightly and I could feel her shaky hand on mine. I placed my hand on her and assured her while grabbing her hand tightly.

Those two men currently was searching for the child and saw me standing in front of the coffee shop. They saw our expensive clothes and bowed to us. Not long after that, they started to leave when suddenly one of the men raise his eyebrows and walked again towards us.

          "Excuse me, My Lady. Do you happen to see a small girl running here?"

The man was bald and big as he towered me. Our family knights quickly protected me from him by standing in front of me. I did what I could think at the moment. I raised my chin and fixed my glare to appear as stern as I could be.

            "No, I don't see such person."I sternly said at him. "Leave now or I will call the authority for the chaos you made here." I pointed at the crowded with my chin. 

Emmy hand tightened around mine while I exuded a domineering aura from my body. I guess being a villainess helped me a lot this time as I easily displayed my intimidating pressure. For once, I was happy I was the villainess.

The man didn't believed me as he hesitated to move. But, at the end he gave in as the crowd was getting bigger and I was a person that he could not messed with.

Being a noble really save me this time. After they left, I brought the child in front of me and tears streamed endlessly on her face. I squatted down and matched my eyes to be on her level.

I wiped her tears and comforted her. Easton gave her a candy that he brought earlier and I patted his head for that.

           "What's your name little girl? I'm not a bad person so don't be scared." I spoke slowly to her and she used one of her sleeves to wipe her tears. She stared at me and talked.

            "Those men beat my brother and I was running from them. We do not have any money to give them and they start to hit us. My brother tell me to run to save my life" tears streaming down on her cheeks when she explained to me.

Unconsciously, I balled up my fist. Anger whirled inside me and it took me a lot not to chase those two scumbag down. I composed myself and asked her where her brother was.

We walked with her on the lead and arrived at a quiet alley. Under the shadow you could see a body laid unmoving. I hurriedly strides to that body and blood covered his face and body. Bruises were all over his body. I called for the knight to brought him to our carriage. The ride on our way back was so silent.

Once we arrived home, Hans who saw the injured body quickly summoned a few servants to bring the injured person to be treated.

I was called by my father to explain on what had happened at the town and the reason why I brought back an injured person and a small girl.