I Tried

"Owen!" To (Y/N) the sound of his mother's voice was kind but Owen could pick out the struggle she had in being happy about him being there. 

 "Hi mom," Owen said, he knew how much this meant to (Y/N) so he would put up with it for a day. 

 "And you must be (Y/N)," His mother said seemingly happily, bending down more to her level. 

 "Why don't you go inside, it's pretty cold out here," Owen's mother told (Y/N). She looked up at Owen, seemingly waiting for approval. 

 "Go ahead, I'll be right behind you," Owen said. (Y/N) was allowed to slip easily by and into the house but Owen wasn't granted access so easily. 

 "She's younger than I thought she'd be," His mother said simply. He just reluctantly looked at her. 

 "Oh come on, you lost your virginity before you could drive, legally at least. You always were a troubled child," His mother continued. 

 "Gee, I wonder why," Owen said, unenthusiastically before walking past her. She stood there for a few moments before closing the door behind them. 

It didn't take long for Owen to spot his daughter again, already sitting at the table talking to his father. 

"Hey Owen," His father called, waving slightly at him, he had the same tone as his mother had in greeting him. 

He just waved back, something about the way he was treating (Y/N) made him uncomfortable. As the day went by Owen made sure his parents were never alone with (Y/N) where he couldn't see them. But after supper when it began to get late Owen's father pulled him aside. 

"How come you waited this long before telling us about her," His father asked.

"You two weren't exactly parents material, I didn't want to take that chance with (Y/N)," Owen replied without missing a beat.

"Listen, I know we didn't end on a good note," His father started but was quickly stopped when he put a hand on Owen's shoulder. 

 "Don't touch me," Owen whispered harshly, making sure no one else would hear as he swatted his hand away.

"Oh come on, it's not like I'm gonna do anything," His father said as if none of this mattered.

"That's how it always started, and it always ended with me making up some reason why I came to school with bruises and broken bones. Not to mention what you did that never left a mark," Owen said quietly. 

"Oh, come on, I thought you'd be over this by now," His father said, getting slightly annoyed. 

"Be over it!" He still kept it to a whisper but barely, "I spent my entire childhood being beaten by my own parents! And God knows what you did after you knocked me out. And don't think I haven't noticed how you've been with (Y/N) all day." 

 "I have no idea what you're talking about," His father tried to deny nervously."Oh, don't even try that, I've seen how rough you grab her every time you touch her. I was hoping so badly that you had changed for her sake.

"What can I say, old habits die hard," His father said in a tone that made a shiver run down his spine.

"Touch her, and old habits won't be the only thing dying," Owen said in complete seriousness before walking away.

(Y/N) was sitting on the floor with his mother. (Y/N) noticed him before he got to them.

"Hi Daddy," Was all she said before she went back to the puzzle on the floor, she was so happy to have a family and he hated to take that from her but the longer they stayed now that he had pissed off his father the more chance there was for things to be worse. 

"Hey, sweetheart, having fun?" Owen asked her, not wanting to just take her and leave.

She nodded her head, staying focused on her puzzle.

"Once you're finished with that why don't you start getting ready, we still have to drive home yet," Owen suggested, if he made her leave now she would pick up on the fact that something was wrong. 

Thankfully, only a few minutes later the puzzle was put together, and it didn't take long to take it apart again and put it back in its box. They just about left when Owen's father began to talk.

"You don't have to leave right now do you?" He asked in a subtly threatening voice.

"I really think we should, its already late and we have stuff to do tomorrow," Owen said, the part about having things to do was a lie. 

"You can always leave in the morning," His mother said, she had the same tone.

By this time (Y/N) picked up on the tone of the room, she was young but even she could tell something was wrong. She took a few steps back but stopped when she had back herself up against Owen's leg. 

"Daddy, can we go?" (Y/N) asked nervously. 

She had no idea why she suddenly wanted to leave so bad but she did, ever since Jurassic World, she had been jumpy at the first sign of trouble.

"Yeah, we'll go," Owen said, one thing he had noticed was that his parents were good around (Y/N).

She was quiet the whole way home, she didn't sleep but she didn't say anything, there was an awkward feeling in the air. Once they got home Owen finally spoke.

"I'm sorry I couldn't give you the Christmas you wanted," Owen apologized. She just gave him a confused look, he looked back at her the same way after a few moments.

"What?" Owen asked after seeing the way she was looking at him.

"I never said that," (Y/N) said simply.He was even more confused more, the joys of having a 4-year-old.

"Well, to tell the truth, I was excited at first but they just made me uncomfortable. I like Christmases with just us better," (Y/N) explained. 

Then she went into the house leaving a shocked Owen standing outside on the step, eventually, he went in. It was already late and he found her already sitting on her bed, ready to go to bed. 

"So, are we actually doing something tomorrow?" (Y/N) asked.

"Actually, yeah, we're going to visit someone," Owen replied.

After he tucked her in he could tell there was something she wanted to say or ask. 

"What's on your mind?" Owen asked, "And don't say nothing because that's a lie."

"What did your parents do to you?" (Y/N) asked.

"What makes you think they did something?" Owen asked in return.

"When we were ready to leave you seemed scared," (Y/N) answered simply.

"You're a smart kid you know," Owen said.

"That doesn't answer the question," (Y/N) informed.

"They hurt me when I was a kid, a lot," Owen answered, he couldn't lie to her anymore, he couldn't expect her to tell him the truth if he lied when it was obvious.

"I'm sorry," (Y/N) said, he could tell she really meant it.

"Don't be, the past is the past, no one can do anything about it," Owen told her gently.

After that, he kissed her goodnight, turned off the light, and went to his room. He laid awake for a few hours and he didn't really know why. One thought kept playing through his mind, a promise he had made before (Y/N) was even born, it was the same promise nearly every parent makes to their child. That at long as he was alive, he would do everything in his power and more to keep her safe and happy even if it meant he wasn't. Along with that thought was all the times he hadn't been able to keep her safe, then for the first time that night came different memories, the good memories, and soon the good memories drowned out the bad ones and he drifted off to sleep.