Chapter Three

Blaire sat on a desk next to Whistler as he focused on mixing the serum.
"I must be soft in my old age, letting you bring home a stray like that", Whistler retorts as Blaire nodded in agreement.
"It was damn stupid of you. Might've lucked out though", he looks at them.
Blaire quirked an eyebrow,
"And how are we in luck?", she asked as Whistler smirked,
" I checked her background. It turns out, she's a hematologist. She might be useful to us", he said shaking the serum and walking over to Blade.
Blair scoffed as she hopped off the desk,
"I doubt it. No way that human can help us", she retorts as Blade pulled on the restraint.

"I'm serious Blaire, I took a look at that notebook of hers. She's onto something", he said putting the serum in the injector.

"I had to increase the dose. It's over 50 milligrams now. That's getting dangerous", Whistler states. Blair frowned, she definitely didn't want to hear that.
"Just do it, old man", Blade tells him as Whistler grabs his face and puts a mouth guard in. Blaire touched the palm of his hand and smiled when he squeezed it gently.
She watched quietly as Whistler quickly injects the serum into him. She could hear Blades breathing get heavy as the serum started taking its effect. His lips twitched, then his face contorted before the full effect of the serums started. His whole body spazzed and shook. Blaire comforted him, but she had to look away, she couldn't see him like that.

"Almost over", she whispered rubbing his arm. He groaned out as his breathing labored heavily. She could see that it drained his energy.

Blaire inhaled deeply, her eyes glowing amber smelling the humans scent,
"That scent", she mumbled as her fangs protruded past her lips.
"Blaire", Blade heavily calls out her name, she turned slightly seeing none other than the human herself. The human ran off and Whistler chased after her.

Blaire went to follow but Blade pulled her back into his body, he placed his face in her neck inhaling,
"Easy", he said as she breathed heavily.

"She smells sweet", she mumbled to which Blade nipped her neck. Blaire groaned feeling her core heat up, as Blade pushed her up against the desk,
"Remember what we taught you", he said giving her a kiss before running off.
She inhaled and exhaled counting to 10 feeling herself calm and her eyes weren't glowing. Once she was calm, she rushed off to Whistler.

"Wander off the beaten path, doctor", Whistler says as Karen backed up,
"Who are you people?", she asked staring at Whistler.
"My names Abraham Whistler", he says just as Blade lands silently behind Karen.
"You've met Blade", he tilted his head, gesturing behind her. Karen looked to see him standing tall with one of his sharp weapons.

Blaire walked up next to Whistler as Karen looked at her,
" and I'm Blaire", she said as Whistler gestured for her to follow him. Blaire stared at Karen who walked past her then looked to Blade who stood in front of her,
" can we kill her", she gave him a deadpanned expression as Blade pushed her forward lightly to which she chuckled. She pulled him back and pushed him up against the fence,
"I'm serious", she said looking at him softly as she traced circled on his chest causing his skin to shiver. Blade looked at her as she looked up at him and he lifted her up by the butt and turned her over and tackled her gently against some wood. Her eyes were glowing amber and he touched her cheek stroking it lightly,
"Your eyes always seem to captivate me", he said as she smiled kissing his neck, letting her fangs scrape against it. She could feel her body heat up and Blade inhaled smelling her scent and it shook his core.
"Later", he said as she groaned pulling away.

She walked to where Whistler was to see him light up a cigarette as Blaire shook her head,
"I told you those will kill you one of these days", she said as he chuckled at her.
Blaire took a seat beside Blade who got in his attire.

"So am I a prisoner here", Karen asks out loud to which Whistler exhaled the smoke.
"Not at all. We just had to take certain precautions before we let you go. You got to understand. They're everywhere", he explains to which Karen just stares not understanding.
"Vampires- the Hominus Nocturna. We hunt them, you see, moving from one city to the next tracking their migrations. They're hard to kill they tend to regenerate", he continues but Karen shook her head,
"And I'm suppose to believe all this?", she retorted.

Blade scoffed,
" well, you already met Mr.Crispy at the hospital, what do you think?", he said as Blaire snickered a bit as Karen looked at them.
"So what do you use then? Stakes? Crosses?" She listed.

Blaire quirked an eyebrow,
"Crosses don't do squat miss sunshine", she sassily retorts as Whistler opened a cabinet.
"Some of the legends are true, though. Vampires are severely allergic to silver", he pulls out a bag and opens it. Blaire chuckled as he took out a flashlight,
"Feed them garlic and they go into serious anaphylactic shock. Then, of course, there's always sunlight, ultraviolet rays", he said shining the light at Karen before moving onto Blade and Blaire.
Blaire giggled, " you finally got that sucker running", she said as he smirked,
"Yup, you want to give it a try tonight", Whistler asked Blade who put down the map and hopped Dow , walking up to Whistler. He grabbed the flashlight and felt the weight.

"It's still heavy", he commented as Whistler quirked and eyebrow,
"Well, you're so big", he stated causing Blaire to laugh and walk off towards the car.

"If you want to live to see another day, you'll be out of town by nightfall", Blade tells Karen who looks a bit mixed between frustrated and scared.
"So where am I suppose to go?", she asked as Blaire turned around,
"You've been exposed to them. One way or another, somebody's gonna take you out", she said as Karen sighed not believing what they were telling her.

"There's a war going on out there, Blade, Blaire, myself and a few others, we've tried to keep it from spilling over onto the streets", Blade starts the engine.
"Sometimes, people like yourself get caught in the crossfire", Whistler hands a jacket over to her,
"I have blood samples. I can go to the police", Karen suggested.

"They own the police. You have to understand, they're everywhere. Chances are you've seen them yourself and didn't know it- on the subway or in a bar", he says.

Karen raised her eyebrows,
"So that's it? You guys patch me up and send me on my way", she expresses to Whistler.
Blaire looked at Blade,
"I love you", she said softly as he looked down at her,
"I love you to", he said as Karen looks back at them. Blaire stood next to Blade as the duo was ready for the hunt.