Chapter 39 - Tangles and Coats

***May's p.o.v***

A loud whine left my throat as I tried once more to pull the brush through my hair.

Failing once again as tears stinged my eyes, I stared into my reflection in the mirror. My hair was an absolute mess.

"What am I going to do?" I whined to my reflection.

"May!" Laxus called. "What's taking so long?" He asked.

"I need a minute!" I called back.

I tried again and again to untangle the rat's nest that was my hair, I tried everything I could think of, but I only seem to make it worse.

Wondering what I've been up to, Laxus peaked in from the door.

"May what's- whoa," Laxus gasped at the sight of my mob of hair.

"I can't fix it!" I cried.

Laxus chuckled. "It can't be that bad. Here let me try," Laxus said as he walked over and sat behind me on my bed.

Laxus tried to brush it normally at first, but when it didn't work, he tried pulling the brush through harder and rougher to the point where I cried out as tears stung the corners of my eyes.

"Sorry May," Laxus muttered sheepishly.

"It usually works for me, but I honestly don't know what I'm doing," he defended.

I saddened as I gazed to the floor. "What do I do now?" I muttered.

Laxus scratched the back of his head before he got an idea. "I know, let's go to the guild and find Ever and Freed. I'm sure they will know of a way to help," Laxus suggested.

"But I don't want to be seen looking like this!" I pleaded.

"Don't worry, just put your hood up and bring your brush too. C'mon let's go," Laxus said standing up.

I sighed, putting my hood up as I grabbed my hairbrush and followed Laxus out the door.

***Timeskip***

"There you two are! We were wondering what was taking you so long," Ever said as she caught sight of us.

"Yeah, we ran into a small hiccup," Laxus muttered.

Freed glanced over at me. "May, what's with the hood? Is something wrong?" He asked.

I let down my hood as the others gasped at the sight.

"You're pretty hair!" Ever gasped.

"We couldn't fix it!" I whined.

"Yeah, I thought you guys might be able to help better than me," Laxus said sheepishly.

Bickslow laughed, "That's hilarious!"

My lip quivered as tears started to form in my eyes at how embarrassed I felt.

Bickslow jolted.

"Oh, sorry May. I wasn't laughing at you. I was just-"

Smack.

"Ow!" Bickslow exclaimed.

"You shouldn't be talking anyway. You wouldn't know how to fix it either," Ever scolded.

"Come here May. We'll fix it," Freed said gently.

"Well, I'll go-" Laxus started.

"Oh no you won't. You're staying, and you're going to learn so you can help her next time," Ever stated, grabbing Laxus and pulling him back down to sit beside her.