Prologue: Playgrounds & Pitter-Patters

Ozzie's POV
10 years earlier...
"Ozzie come play with us!" Dane shouts from across the playground.
"I don't want to!" I whine.
"Come on, Ozzie! Don't be a sourpuss!" Jude yells as I roll my eyes and go to meet my best friends at the swings.
"You guys are mean."
"We grew up together; we need to stick together," Luke interjects.
"Forever and ever and ever?"
"Forever and ever and ever. Friends for life!"
And with that, Luke gives me one of those shy smiles that makes my heart go pitter-patter.
Now...
Well, it used to make my heart go pitter-patter, anyway. But now... now it doesn't. And it hasn't for years. I had a slight crush on Luke back in our elementary school days, but of course I would never tell him that. We're 17 now; we're seniors! I grew out of my elementary school infatuation with him.
Luke is my best friend. He never will be anything more to me, and I'll never be anything more to him. That childhood crush disappeared years ago. But, ugh. Luke's hasn't. I know he still has a thing for me, but I choose to ignore it. It would make things just a little too complicated if we started dating. Not to mention our dating track records suck. Yeah... we both are awful at dating. So together, we would pretty much be a train wreck. A recipe for disaster, if you will. We prefer to stick to flings instead of relationships.
I'll be honest, part of me can't help but wonder what it would be like if for some reason we did get together. It would be nice to be best friends and dating, but once again too complicated. And I most definitely do not have feelings for Luke Goldstein.
Definitely not.
"Hey, Oz! Come here!" Luke yells from the ocean as I tan on the beach.
"Nah, I like it here!" I yell back.
He jumps out of the waves and swoops me up before throwing me into the water with him and the boys.
"Rude," I gasp once I come up for air.
"Oh shut up, you liked it."
He was right; I did. Not that I'll ever tell him that, though.
See, all friendship between Luke and I, nothing else.
All I know right now is that this summer is going to be a summer I'll never forget.