Chapter 9: Bonfires & Skinny-Dipping

Ozzie's POV

"Ready for this?" Luke says as he lets go of my hand he's been holding. We stand at the top of the beach before making our way down in just-friends fashion.

"I think so."

"You guys made it!" Dane yells to us as he wraps me in a hug. "We didn't think we would see you guys."

"We come every year, so..." Luke says.

"Where's Jude?" I ask.

"Where do you think?" Dane says as he points to where Sunny Ray sits on Judes lap. They're secluded from everyone else, and he's smiling down at her.

He seems really happy.

"You won't believe what I'm about to tell you," Dane whispers to Luke and I. "I met a girl."

"Like a hookup girl or a girl?" I tease, wiggling my eyebrows.

"Her name is Hannah. She's a singer and staying here for the summer."

"Good for you!" Luke cheers. "I'll be right back; I'm gonna grab us some drinks."

Luke disappears into the sand and I turn around to see Dane staring at me. "What?"

"You guys had sex!"

"What?" I gasp. "We did not!"

Fuck.

"I can tell. There's always been sexual tension between you guys, but now it's more of a... longing. So don't even try to lie to me about it."

"Dane," I hiss.

"He told you, didn't he?"

"Told me what?"

"That he loves you."

"He did not," I lie.

"Fine. Suit yourself. But I know he did."

"Say he did. How do you know, hmm?"

"Because he's staring at you right now. And even when he loves you in secret, he never dared staring at you in public."

"Maybe he just feels a little brace tonight," I suggest.

"That's not something Luke would do."

I huff in defeat.

"So you're not together?"

"No."

"Prove it. Kiss me right now."

"What? No! That's gross!"

"Don't worry; I have zero feelings for you. But old Ozzie—aka the one not in a secret relationship—would've kissed me in a heartbeat to prove something."

"You're like my brother."

"And you're like my annoying little sister. Prove it."

"Dane! I will not kiss you!"

"Then admit it. You're in love with him."

And in that moment, I do just about the stupidest thing I've ever done.

I kiss Dane.

He doesn't kiss me back, of course. He's obviously shocked by the contact.

"Ozzie!" I hear from behind me.

Shit.

"What the fuck are you doing?" Luke says.

"I knew it. Confrontation equals together," Dane whispers in my ear.

"I'm sorry. I kissed him; I—"

"Why would you kiss Dane? It's Dane."

"He's obviously tipsy, and I he wanted me to prove we weren't together, and—"

"Ah. So that's what this is about? Proving that we aren't together?!" He crouched down to my level and comes closer to me. "Why are we trying to hide this? I love you."

"I know," I sob. "I'm sorry." He wipes the test off my cheek and I turn to Dane.

"I'm sorry, Oz. I was just teasing, and I didn't know it would get that far, and—"

"It's okay. Really Dane, it's fine. Because you're right. We're together; we're in love."

He smiles a tipsy smile. "I'm happy for you guys."

A girl comes over to us and looks at Dane. "Hey," she says with a shy smile.

"H-Han-Hannah! Hi!" Dane chuckles nervously. The girl in front of him is undoubtedly beautiful. She's Indian with the silkiest black hair. Her smile lights up Dane face and she has dimples for days.

"Guys, this is Hannah. Hannah, these are my best friends Ozzie and Luke."

"It's nice to meet you," I say, extending a hand. She takes it before shaking Luke's as well.

"We hope to see more of you," Luke tells her before they disappear down the beach together.

"She's sweet."

"Yeah, she is."

"Listen, I'm sorry about what happened. That was really shitty of me."

"It was... but you made up for it by telling him. Thank you."

"Of course," I mumble against his lips before kissing him. "Now that we're alone... skinny-dipping?"

"Oh, you're on," he laughs before taking off his shirt and running down the beach. We strip off our clothes before racing into the water and giggling together. Underneath the waves, I wrap my legs around Luke's waist and he holds me close.

"I cant believe you're mine. I've loved you for my entire life," Luke whispers before he slips his tongue into my mouth and kisses me.

"I know you have. And I'm sorry I was fucking with your head for all those years—leading you on and all."

"You didn't lead me on. I was just hanging onto you for dear life. I knew you would come around," he laughs.

"I never thought I would come around. I don't know what changed; but I'm glad something did."

"Me too."

He dunks my head under water and I pull him down with me. I open my eyes to see the pixelated version of the water and Luke. I kiss him, and it's the most romantic kiss I've ever had. I mean come on, a kiss underwater? Swoon.

"Wanna go back to the house?" Luke mutters in between kisses.

"Or we could just do it here."

"I've never loved you more." He smiles against the kiss and tangled his fingers through my wet hair. As I wrap my arms around his neck, he deepens the kiss, and I'm absolutely, completely done for.