Chapter 10: Guy Tears & Dates

Ozzie's POV

"Good morning," I whisper against Luke's neck as I wake up next to him the next morning.

"Hi, cutie," he chuckles as he kisses my temple. "There's something important we have to do today."

"What's that?"

"We have to tell Jude."

My stomach drops. Of course I knew this was coming; ever since we told Dane last night I knew Jude wouldn't be far behind.

"I know."

"But after that..." I giggle as he nuzzles his face into my hair. "I wanna take you on a date. A real date."

"How chivalrous!"

"Let's go," he says as he take my hand and drags me out of bed. When we sneak into the living room, Jude and Dane are already awake and eating bowls of cereal.

"Morning!" I say as cheerfully as possible. Dane eyes me and Jude looks up from his bowl.

"You know, if you want to try and even attempt to hide the fact that you two are hooking up, you probably shouldn't come out of the same room at the same time acting all giddy," Jude groans.

"Jude—" I start before he gets out of his bar stool and slams the screen door behind him.

"I should go talk to him," Luke says as he starts to walk towards the door.

"No," I say putting a hand on his chest. "Let me."

I open the door and walk down the sidewalk before I see him standing by the bay. Slowly, I approach him but he doesn't turn around.

"Jude," I whisper as I put a hand on his shoulder. I turn him around to face me and drop my hands from his shoulders. "I'm sorry we didn't tell you."

"It's just disappointing that Dane knew and I didn't. How long were you planning on lying to me?"

"Dane just found out last night, and—"

"How long has thing between you guys been going on?"

"Um, I don't know... a few weeks, maybe?"

"God," he groans as I place my hands on either of his cheeks. "That long?"

"I'm sorry, Jude. I really am—"

"What about when you break up, huh? You're just gonna break up the entire group?"

"Jude! We're not breaking up anytime soon!"

"I'm sorry, but the Ozzie Blake I know hasn't been in a relationship for more than six months!"

"That's not fair."

"And you keeping the fact that you're sleeping with Luke a secret is considered fair?"

The words feel like a slap in the face. My entire demeanor changes as I wipe a tear off his cheek. "What happened to you?" I whisper. "I wake up and you're acting like a lost puppy, and—"

"Sunny broke up with me."

"What?" I gasp. "But I thought everything was going so well."

"It was. Or... I thought it was. She has a lot of things to work through right now, and apparently she doesn't want to give me the time of day."

"Jude, this probably has nothing to do with you. She's probably just putting the pieces of her life together and figuring out whether dragging you down with her is a good idea or not."

"She's scared," he sobs. "And I know why... but I don't like seeing her like this. It's killing me."

"What is she scared of?" I try to reason with him.

"Herself."

"Oh, Jude—"

"I'm sorry I got so pissed that you guys are together, it's just that you three are all I have left now. I can't lose all of you."

"You're not going to," I whisper as I give him a lingering hug. "Luke and I are not breaking up for a really long time, if we ever do."

"Okay. I believe you. I'm happy for you two."

"Thank you," I smile as he wraps his arms around my shoulder and we walk back to the bungalow together. Before I open the front door, I whisper, "She'll come around."

"I hope so," he tells me with watery eyes, and in that moment I sense it.

Jude is in love.

With a broken girl named Sunny Ray.

If only the dude would man up and go talk to her! Ugh, men, right?!

"Hey, you," Luke says when I walk back into the bungalow. "Jude, how are you?"

"I'm good. Really."

Luke lets out a breath that he's obviously been holding since we walked in. "Oh thank god. I was worried my best friend was going to be at odds with my girlfriend."

"Hey, she's my best friend too!" Jude interjects.

"And mine!" Dane adds.

"I'm um—I have to go talk to Sunny today. Sorry I won't be around, guys."

"Don't even worry about it. I'm going out with Han, so," Dane says and I smile at Luke. The day is ours.

"Be ready in 30. I have a day planned," Luke whispers in my ear when the boys aren't looking. It makes my spine shiver.

"I'll be there with bells ringing," I giggle.

"Nope, can't do it. No PDA!" Dane yells as Luke rips his head away from my neck.

"Fine!" I groan before disappearing into my room. Well, Luke and I's room. It always makes me giddy when I remember I wake up to him each morning.

In the thirty minutes I have to get ready, I curl my hair into loose curls and put a little bit of makeup on my face. I pick out my favorite baby blue sundress that falls to my ankles and throw it on before meeting Luke at the front of the bungalow.

"You look beautiful," he tells me with a smile as he kisses my cheek. "So, are you ready to trust me and have the best day of your life?"

"As long as law enforcement doesn't get involved, I'm game."

"Wonderful. Let's go!"

About twenty minutes later Luke parks the car in front of the pier. The pier! How romantic. He opens the car door for me and I slip out before we walk down the sand to an empty beach. He set up a picnic for us, and I officially am becoming emotional over something as little as a picnic. Luke's just too good to me.

"Surprised?" he says as I lay down on the blanket.

"Very. I never even thought you would think of something like this."

"Well, I'm full of surprises."

"So I see."

"Here," Luke says as he throws me my plain white one-piece bathing suit.

"What's this for? And how did you find this?"

"We're going swimming, duh. And it was in your room... and I sleep there the nights we're not in my room... so I knew where to find it."

"Swimming, you say?"

"Just swimming. None of the stuff we did at the bonfire."

"I agree. Now turn around while I get this on."

He looks at me quizzically. "I've seen you naked plenty of times, Oz."

"Just turn around," I laugh, and he does. "Okay, I'm done."

Luke immediately rips his shirt off and throws me over his shoulder before running into the ocean and plopping me in. "Luke!" I shriek as he dunks my head under. "I hate you," I snort as I come up for air.

"You love me," he whispers before putting either of his hands on my cheeks and kissing me.

"Unfortunately, I love you way too much, Mr. Goldstein."