Chapter 6: Apologies & Sleepovers

Luke's POV

I really screwed up. Like made a catastrophically stupid mistake that I feel absolutely awful about. In my defense, Ozzie dated Sophie for two months almost two years ago. Sophie never hung out with us; so how was I supposed to remember what she looked like? Besides, I didn't even know her name as we were hooking up, even though I know that's shitty. There's no excuse for what I did, so at the next available moment I sneak back home and knock on her bedroom door. I wonder for a moment if she is sleeping before I hear her turn in her covers.

"Ozzie? It's me. Can I come in?"

"I'm sleeping," she groans before I push open the door. Whenever she says that she means it as an invitation to come in.

"Hey, you," I whisper as I sit on the edge of her bed. She opens the covers so I climb in next to her. Why is she being so forgiving?

God, I hope Dane didn't say anything to get into her head.

"Hi. I'm sorry for overreacting earlier."

"You didn't overreact. I was stupid to not even ask for her name."

"You didn't know the girl you hooked up with's name? Then how the hell are you supposed to moan their name during sex?" she giggles.

I chuckle at her bluntness. "I've never moaned a girls' name."

"You're weird."

"No you."

"Sophie and I didn't work out, but I see no reason you can't have her."

"I don't want her."

"Why not? She's hot!"

"She is," I whisper as I lay facing her. "But I'm in love with someone else."

"Who?" God, does she really not know? Does this girl know the purpose of context clues?!

"I can't tell you."

"Of course you can. It's just me."

"And that's why I can't tell you."

"Fine. But will you tell me eventually?"

"I hope to tell you sooner rather than later," I tell her as I wrap my arm around her stomach.

"Is this one of those platonic cuddles we talked about?" she giggles.

"Of course it is," I whisper as she tangles herself in my body and falls asleep.

I could get used to this even though I'm not supposed to.

...

"Good morning," I whisper into Ozzie's ear at almost noon the next morning. And that's when I realize it. I've never slept next to a girl completely innocently without making a move on her. If feels so strange but so... refreshing.

"Hi," she whispers back with a little smile that makes my heart want to explode. Okay, she has to be into this too, right? "You're comfy. Maybe I'll start sneaking into your room to cuddle.

Okay, she's definitely flirting! Yes!

"I vote yes."

She reaches up and traces the outline of my jaw with her fingertips before trailing them down towards my bare shoulders. I physically shudder under her touch—something I've never felt before.

"I need to tell you something," I choke out as she continues to make circles on my exposed skin.

"Say it."

"I love—"

"Ozzie? Have you seen Luke?" I hear my Mom call from the hall.

"He's in here with me! He's just helping me decide what to wear to the beach today."

"Alright then. But no closed doors please!"

If that didn't ruin the moment, I don't know what did.

"You love what?" Ozzie chuckles once I hear Mom's footsteps retreat.

"Breakfast. I love breakfast. Want some? I do!" I spaz away from Ozzie and her electric touch before scrambling downstairs.

God, why am I like this?