Chapter 3: Route 1 & First Catches

Daniel and Matthew walked through Route 1 towards Viridian City after saying goodbye to their parents.

While walking down the dirt path leading straight towards Viridian City. Crystal hops down from Daniel's shoulder, hearing a rustling sound coming from the grass.

"Meowth," Crystal said, turning to face the grass in the direction of where the sound was coming from.

"What's wrong, Crystal? Is something there?" Daniel asked.

"Maybe it's a Pokemon," Matt said, pulling out a Pokeball when he spotted a small bird with red feathers.

"I choose you, Zuko," He said, sending out his new Chamander.

"It's a Spearow," Daniel said, recognizing the bird.

Matt took out his Pokedex and pointed it towards the bird.

"Spearow, the Tiny Bird Pokemon. Inept at flying high. However, it can fly around very fast to protect its territory," Matt pokedex said.

"Zuko  scratch!" Matt commanded.

"Char," Zuko cried, running towards Spearow with its claw out.

"Spea, row!" Spearow cried out, flying in the air dodging the incoming scratch.

"Zuko, use Ember!" Matt ordered.

"Chamander!" Zuko cried out, opening his mouth and spitting out small flames hitting Spearow.

"Yeah, good job," Matthew said with a smirk.

"Hold on, it's not over," Daniel replied.

Matthew looked to see Spearow was okay and was flying towards Zuko using peck.

"What?" He said, confused as Zuko flew on the ground.

"Spearow a flying type, so fire moves aren't the best," Daniel explained.

"Right, Zuko, use Scratch, then go for another Ember!" Matt commanded.

"Charmander!" Chamander cried out, getting up and charging towards Spearow using scratch, hitting Spearow and opening his mouth, spitting out flames at Spearow before it could recover.

"Meowth," Crystal cried.

"Crystal, right now, your chance throw a Pokeball before Spearow gets back up," Daniel said.

"Right Pokeball, go!" Matt said, throwing a Pokeball at Spearow.

Daniel, Crystal, and Matthew watched as the Pokeball shook. After three shakes, it clicked, signaling that Spearow had been caught.

"Yes, I caught a Spearow!" Matt cheered, running over to his Pokeball and grabbing it.

"Not bad need to work on your typing through, but a good first try," Daniel said as Crystal nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, but at least I'm not as clueless as Ash can be at times," Matt stated. "Speaking of him, since he wasn't there to get one of the starter Pokemon what do you think he will still get a Pokemon?" He asked, putting his new caught pokemon Pokeball away.

"Don't worry; Professor Oak probably has something left for pick from," Daniel replied as Crystal got back on his shoulder as they continued walking through Route 1.

*

After a bit more walking, Daniel and Matt took a break to eat some sandwiches for lunch near a river. They were about a good way through route 1 now.

"Meow," Crystal said as she chowed down on her Pokemon food.

"These sandwiches are good," Matt said, eating one of his sandwiches.

Daniel chuckled. "If you say so, all I did was put lunch meat, lettuce, pickles, and tomatoes on it."

"That might be, but it tastes almost like a sandwich from a restaurant," Matt stated.

Daniel just shrugged and ate another one of his triangle cut sandwiches when they heard a sound coming from the river.

"Shel."

"What was that?" Matt asked.

"A Pokemon, let's see," Daniel said, taking out his pokedex and pointing it near the river.

"Shellder, the Bivalve Pokemon. Its hard shell repels any kind of attack. It is vulnerable only when its shell is open." Daniel pokedex said.

"A shellder interesting let's go catch it, Crystal," Daniel said, eating his last sandwich and putting away his pokedex.

"Meowth!" Crystal agreed, running over to where the Shellder was in the river floating.

"Interesting choice for a water type Danny," Matt said, finishing his food while his two Pokemon were eating.

"Maybe, but I might switch it out when if I find a better water type; besides, it doesn't hurt to have more than one of each type," Daniel said, joining Crystal, ready to battle the Shellder.

"Alright, Crystal, use bite and drag that Shellder out of the water!" Daniel commanded.

"Me, owth!" Crystal cried, jumping at the shoulder, biting Shellder best as she can dragging it towards Daniel.

Shellder opened its shell, shooting water at Crystal, trying to get her to lose her hold on it. Crystal continued to hang on, not letting go of Shellder.

"That it Crystal hang in there and toss Shellder in the air."

"Meowth!" Crystal cried out, tossing Shellder onto the land and hopping out of the water as well running back in front of her trainer.

"Shellder!" Shellder cried, using another water gun.

"Crystal, use furry swipes!"

"Meowth!" Crystal cried, lifting its claws cutting through the water as it made its way to Shellder, constantly scratching it as its shell was still open.

"Shell," Shellder said as it collapsed.

"Alright, Pokeball, go!" Daniel said, throwing a Pokeball at Shellder.

The Pokeball shook a couple of times until it clicked, signaling that Shellder was caught.

"Awesome, Danny, you caught a Shellder!" Matt said, running over towards.

"Yeah, sure did I give it a nickname later," Daniel said. "For now, if everyone is done eating, let's clean up and continue heading to Viridian City," He said, putting away his new Shellder Pokeball.

"Right," Matt said, heading back over to help clean up the empty bowls of Pokemon food and returning both of his Pokemon.

"Alright, now time to go," Daniel said as Crystal hopped on his shoulder again as they began to continue their journey to Viridian city.

"Hey Danny, why doesn't Crystal ever go into her Pokeball?"

"Well, because she doesn't like being inside of it."

"What happens when she evolves, and can sit on your shoulder?"

"She can just walk next to me, but I had her for a while now, and she hasn't evolved. I don't think she wants to, or maybe she needs more training."

After that, the rest of the journey was in silence, and Daniel, Crystal, and Matthew continued their journey.

Hello wonderful readers!

I hope you enjoy the third chapter of this story. Daniel and Mathew continue making their way to Viridian City. If you have suggestions for nicknames for Shellder and Spearow, let me know.

Please comment below to let me know what you think of the story so far.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

Daniel Pokemon
Meowth =F = Crystal (on hand)
•Shellder= M=?           (on hand)

Matthew Pokemon
•Chamander=M=Zuko (on hand)
• Spearow = F=?           (On-hand)