Chapter Eleven: A Promise To The Dead

"Thanks for staying with me during the night shift, Eden

"Thanks for staying with me during the night shift, Eden." Scott and Eden were currently hopping off his motorbike, which Eden didn't actually hate. "I would have called Kira, but she wanted to just sleep like a normal person since the dead pool is over."

Eden laughed. "Are you insinuating that I don't sleep like a normal person?"

"You fell asleep in the corner of the office!" Scott remarked which only made Eden laugh even more. After the whole ordeal with Stiles, Eden had kept herself distanced from the human boy and Scott seemed to understand that. Scott remembered when he needed time away from Allison, he needed everyone to be by his side, keep him sane. The young alpha cared immensely about Eden, she was a sweet girl and no matter if she thought she wasn't officially part of the pack, to Scott, she was. "No one falls asleep pretty easily in a corner unless they're not human or they're dead tired."

"Last I checked, I was a human so maybe we should just chalk it up to being tired." The Latina sighed and rested a hand on Scott's shoulder. "Thanks, you know. For everything. I mean, you could have told me to man up and be okay."

Scott smiled softly. "I know what it's like to have your heart broken—"

"My heart isn't broken, he lied to me. He treated me as if I'm nothing and I get it, okay? He likes or loves Malia, I get it, but if he told me before making any kind of move, it would have been less of a sting to me. If he just stayed honest to himself and to me, we'd be okay." The brunette chewed on her lip, walking slowly with Scott toward his home door. "Are you sure your mom is going to be okay with me coming here so late at night?"

"She should. She likes you. She said you're a good person. Plus she also told me to come home when I got home from work and if you were still with me, to bring you here and then take you home." Scott looked over at Eden as he fished for his keys. "And you can say you're not heart broken, but he lied to you and you're hurt. The pain you feel, that can still counts as heart break. You're allowed to feel something, Eden. Don't let anyone tell you that you can't feel anything. Feeling something makes you human."

With a slow nod, Eden looked down at her fingers. "Do you feel anything?"

"...hungry, mainly" he joked as he opened the door. Eden was all smiles as the duo walked into the dark home of the McCall family. Scott's eyes met the back of his mother's figure, Eden doing the same. "Hey. Sorry I'm back so late. I was closing up the Animal Clinic. I got more house to earn a little extra..." the young alpha trailed before Melissa moved from her spot, revealing that she had found the gym bag full of money from the dead pool. "...money."

Melissa turned to face her son. "How much more did you need?"

"Miss McCall, it's not what you're thinking..." Eden spoke softly as she followed behind Scott.

"This is payment from the dead pool. I found it in Garrett's locker."

Melissa's eyes danced between the two teenagers. "This belongs to Derek." Her eyes moved from the two teens in front of her to the bag, chewing on her bottom lip before letting her eyes rest on Scott once again. "So you're just, uh, keeping it safe for him in a gym bag underneath your bed?"