Chapter Twelve: Smoke and Mirrors

Powder blue Jeep parked in an empty parking garage, Stiles pacing back and forth as Malia stood on the passenger side and Liam standing against the door behind the driver's side

Powder blue Jeep parked in an empty parking garage, Stiles pacing back and forth as Malia stood on the passenger side and Liam standing against the door behind the driver's side. Mexico was where they needed to go and with two new members of the pack who were still controlling shifts during full moons, put the human boy more on edge than he intended to be. Stiles needed to save his best friend, control his girlfriend during shifts as well as control a Beta with anger issues who seemed to only listen to the alpha they needed to save and the small brunette Latina huntress who hated his guts at the current moment. It was justified for her to hate him, he just wished she didn't. Black van driving into the same space as the Jeep was parked, it was what they needed to control Liam.

Liam wouldn't be able to handle his first full moon on his own, and he insisted to go with the pack to save Scott.

"How'd you get a prison transport van?" Stiles wondered out loud. Who did Braeden kill to get this kind of thing?

With a shrug, Braeden answered simply as she walked toward the teen, badge around her neck. "I'm a U.S Marshal."

"Yeah, I just thought that was just a cover." the human boy stated. Another car pulled into the same space, Derek emerging from the passenger seat.

"Are we really bringing him?" the older man asked, pointing at the young Beta.

Stiles shifted in his spot before spotting the man with Derek. Peter. "Are we really bringing him?" he asked, pointing at Malia's father that he still just did not trust for the life of him.

"We're bringing everyone we can" Peter answered. "And considering Scott and Kira were taken the night before a full moon, we should probably get going."

Malia shook her head slightly. "What's that mean?"

"If Kate took Scott back to the same temple that she took Derek, how do we know she's not planning to do the same thing to him?"

Each teen seemed confused, wondering what Peter could even mean by anything he just said. Liam was the one to speak. "What, she wants to make him younger?"

"Or dead" Derek added. "Or take him back to when he wasn't a werewolf."

Peter spoke once more. "A werewolf can't steal a true alpha's power. But maybe, a Nagual jaguar with the power of Tezcatlipoca behind her...maybe she can." As much as the people in the garage hated Peter--sans Peter himself and possibly Malia--he was right. There was no telling on what was Kate's plan while she had Kira and Scott and wasting time wasn't something they should do. "So, if everyone is sufficiently freaked out, I say we get going."

"We can't..." Stiles spoke through the quiet haze. "Not without Lydia and Eden."

- - -

As Stiles paced back and forth on the phone, desperately trying to contact Lydia, Derek watched the human boy in his terrified haze. "What's she doing at the school anyway?"