Closer: Atlas

"Are you ready?" Atlas asks looking over at Kenji. A month had passed since Kenji moved in with Atlas. They hadn't kissed again since Atlas gave Kenji his first kiss. In fact, they both kept their distance even though Atlas had started sleeping with Kenji regularly to keep him from having his horrific nightmares. Kenji had them nightly unless Atlas and Adventure joined him in the bed.

Kenji nods in silence. They were at their usual spot outside of the police station. The guards had been increased since the last two had been found dead. Kenji and Atlas cross the street crouched down in the shadows so nobody will see them. They hide behind a row of bushes. Atlas grabs his earbuds out of his pocket and hands one to Kenji. They both put them in their ears. He grabs his phone and turns the app on. They sit down and listen to the conversations between the guards. Ugh, meaningless conversations again. It isn't until he hears the word Blade that his ears perk up.

"Boss said Blade is still alive." A male's voice comes over the earbud.

"Maybe he's smarter than we thought." A second deeper voice says.

"Mm. He's cunning alright. Infiltrating the militia like that and surviving. They were supposed to have figured out his identity and killed him by now. Especially since he's the one that killed their precious Sheriff."

A snicker comes through the earbud. Atlas glances over at Kenji. What do they mean infiltrated the militia? Who could have infiltrated the militia? Atlas' heart starts trembling in his chest. His heartbeats so loud it echoes in his ear drums. Is Kenji this Blade they are talking about? Atlas grabs his earbud out of Kenji's ear and stalks off across the road, not bothering to stick to the shadows.

"Hey!" Kenji calls out without thinking. He follows after Atlas. "Hey, Atlas, hold up. What's wrong?" He whispers. Atlas' fists clench at his side. His face is red, and tears are brimming his eyes. Kenji's eyebrows furrow looking at his companion in worry. Did he really lie to me this whole time? Was I stupid enough to let a cold-blooded killer in my house? Atlas doesn't know who he's madder at Kenji or himself. Atlas whirls around as he reaches the truck. His eyes widen in surprise as four big, broad guys run up behind Kenji, knocking him to the ground.

(KENJI)

One of them jumps on top of Kenji and sneers. "Really, Blade? I didn't think you would be stupid enough to show your face around here again after your last murders. Boss is going to kill you, you know?" Kenji sneers back at the man that's on top of him, one of his old sparring partners, BJ.

Kenji puts his leg in between BJ's and kicks him backwards over himself so BJ is laying on his back. Kenji rolls over on top of him pinning him to the ground. Kenji punches the guy in the face multiple times until the man is bloody and knocked out cold. He looks over at Atlas who is wrestling with another man.

Atlas grabs his attacker by the collar of his shirt and throws him to the ground. A second gangster charges at him. He dodges the guy's charge and whirls around to face him. The guy sneers at Atlas. Kenji runs up and lands on top of the first guy, pinning him to the ground. He shoves his palm into the guy's nose snapping it. "Ahh," the guy yelps out in pain, grabbing onto his face. Kenji holds the man down with one hand and proceeds punching him repeatedly until he too is knocked out.

Atlas yelps from somewhere nearby Kenji looks up in time to see the last attacker slicing a hunting knife through the air. The blade runs across Atlas' arm. Atlas takes a punch to the face from the second attacker. He falls to the ground. Kenji bum rushes the last attacker, knocking the hunting knife out of the guy's hand. He bends down and swoops it up, arming himself. The last attacker reaches into his back waistband for a gun, but Kenji kicks him in the stomach before he can grab it. Kenji holds the hunting knife in his hand and plunges it deep into the side of the last attacker's throat. His eyes widen in horror, and he falls to the ground, blood gushing out from the gaping wound in his throat.