Family

(Two Years Later- Kenji)

"Hello? Yes, Mr. Johnston, I've finished your table. I am just waiting on the sealer to cure, and then I will deliver it to you right away." Kenji hangs up the phone, exhausted and looks over at Atlas. It's after business hours and customers are still bothering me. Why did I give customers my cell phone number?

"How's work going?" Atlas asks, with a teasing smile on his face.

"If I knew it was going to become this big, I would have hired more help than just Justin. He's a great welder, but I need more woodworkers. I'm tired." He rubs his hand over his face. Atlas and Kenji had just finished eating dinner and were settling on the couch to relax together. Atlas was working long hours at the station and Kenji was working double time to fill orders for his customers. Neither of them had a single day off in months. I need a vacation.

"Why don't you hire someone? I'm sure someone in town is looking for work."

Kenji nods, putting his arm around his Chief of Police better half and pulling him to his side. "I'll work on it tomorrow. Tonight, I just want to relax with you." BZZZZZTTTT. A vibration in Kenji's pocket goes off. He slides his hand in his pocket and pulls out his phone. He holds his index finger up at Atlas. Seriously, another customer?

"Hello? Fast Furniture at your service." Kenji answers in his usual customer service voice.

"Yes, Mrs. Tillman. I have started on your rocking chair. It will be ready before your sister's birthday party next week." Kenji jumps up. Oh shit! No. No. No! "It's what? It's been moved to Saturday." Kenji lets out a frustrated sigh. "Okay. Okay. I'll get right on it."

Kenji looks at Atlas apologetically. "I have to go to the shop. Apparently, Mrs. Tillman forgot to tell me her sister's birthday party had been moved to Saturday." Why do my customers have to make my life a living hell? It was now Wednesday night and with all the orders, Kenji would never get them all done on time if he didn't find help as soon as possible.

"I'll come help you." Atlas volunteers, standing up from the couch.

"Don't you have work early in the morning?"

"I'm the Chief. I set my own work schedule. I'll just text Alicia and tell her I'll be a little late. I can use tomorrow morning to help you find a woodworker." Thank you, higher power, for sending me this wonderful man who helps me without me having to ask. Kenji leans forward and gives Atlas a big smacking kiss, wrapping his arms around his boyfriend's waist.

"Have I told you lately that I love you?"

Atlas puts his finger on his chin and taps it. "No, I don't think you have."

"I love you. I don't know what I would do without you."

"Then don't do without me."

"I'm not planning on it." Kenji replies, distracted by his thoughts of the rocking chair. He turns to grab the keys off the table by the front door.

"Hey, Kenji," Atlas calls from the living room.

"Yeah?" Kenji asks, glancing over at his boyfriend. He looks at Atlas curiously. What is he doing? He was kneeling down on one knee. "Is something wrong with your shoe?" Kenji glances down at his shoe.

"Come here." Atlas says with a grin. Kenji walks over to him confused. What is going on?

"What are you doing?"

Atlas grabs Kenji's left hand. "I meant it when I said don't live this life without me."

"Um, okay. Atlas, I really need to go to the shop. This rocking chair still has a long way to go, and I only have three days to get it done."