2. The Past Is Catching Up

I busted through my oak wood door and darted upstairs to my room, I tripped up on the stairs multiple times in my heist to find it.

Once upstairs I instantly began tearing through my elm wood bookshelf desperately looking for a specific book I'm half sure I burnt a long time ago, what can I say, I wanted to destroy any trace of my old life that may still exist.

When I couldn't find it. I considered if it was my fear of finding out the truth and I was unknowingly stopping myself from finding it, or maybe it was my glasses steaming up again. (Btw y'all have glasses now, deal with it)

I was about to give up when a thought hit me. The attic. If I didn't burn the book then I probably just hid it.

I ran into the main hall and pulled the ladder down from the attic entrance and stumbled up into the darkness. I pulled on a thin white wire turning a series of flickering lights on. They were dim and worn down but they provided enough light for me to see what I was doing.

Although my heart was pounding with anxiety, I couldn't help a relieved grin crawl across my face as I caught sight of a familiar leather book Resting inside of a ripped cardboard box.

It was a simple brown coloured book with small and intricate, golden designs engraved into the surface, it wasn't in the best condition though, it had a multitude of tears and scorch marks staining it, and some of the designs were dulled out, but it still contained every piece of information that it did the day it was first created.

I decided the lack of light was getting on my nerves while looking at the cover so I tucked the book under my arm, turned the lights off and climbed back down into the main area of the house. I closed the attic door and with it the ladder closed as well.

I leant against the wall and took a deep breathe slowly building up the courage to open it.

"Thought I swore I'd leave this behind" I spat slightly angry at myself for going back in my word.

I opened the cover of the book cover with a shaking hand and flicked through the familiar, dusty pages. I reviewed the different troll lore and myths.

I read through the ancient depictions of battles from ages past, it gave me some hidden joy to reconnect to this foreign realm. It was as if I was reminding my self about how once upon a time, that world would be my top priority at all times.

My trollish was a little rusty but I could still read and speak it as of I'd never stopped using the language. I flicked through page, after page, after dirt stained page until I found it.

The inky depiction of an ancient artefact that resembled Jim's amulet with immaculate detail. Merlin's amulet. It was designed to select champion after champion to keep Gunmar's war at bay. But never before had it chosen a human to take up the mantle of troll hunter. My interests were peeked as I read each of the multitude of pages full of information about a single object.

Before I knew it I was being sucked back into the world of magics, falling in love with it again. I grunted and threw the book back onto the bookshelf.
"I can't go back to that world!" I reminded myself bitterly through gritted teeth.

I scowled at the book as it sat on the shelf expectantly. I scoffed at how naive I had been only a few mere moments before.

I sat down on my wooden floors, leaning against my wall with my head in my hands. All I could think about was how my best friend was in more danger then I thought possible for a teenage boy.

I desperately tried pulling myself together, telling myself it would be ok but I knew it wouldn't. Jim hasn't been in a fight in his entire life! And now he's supposed to protect the world, fighting trolls, keeping Gunmar and his war from escaping the Dark Lands!?

I took several deep breathes until I felt ok enough to think straight. Ok I admit this was bad, but it depends if the amulet even chose Jim, maybe it was just a misunderstanding. However, regardless whether it was a mistake or not I had to do my best to keep the situation under control.

"First things first, I needed to go to the canals and inspect those rocks the idiots found" I convinced myself as I tumbled down the stairs and turned the golden door handle.

The day was almost over and the sun was slowly dipping behind a number of hills that rested in the background. The air was cold and the roads were empty. I locked up the house and walked over to my bike. The metal was colder then the vinegar sharp air making me pull my hand away sharply the first time I touched it.

I sat down on the black, leather seat, one foot still on the floor to prevent me from rolling off down the drive.

With a final sigh, I lifted my leg onto the second pedal and zoomed off down the roads and towards the canal where the whole mess first began.