9. Fear Is What Keeps You Alive

I winced at the sound of my wailing alarm clock as it dragged me from my sleep. My eyes flickered a few times adjusting to the light of the sun blazing through my window.

I groaned with tired eyes and slammed my hand on top of the infernal device. Although that ceased the constant ringing, my ears still heard it's distant cries for another minute or so.

I hauled myself from my mattress and glanced at the ginger tabby who sat stretching on the end of my dark grey bed.

I proceeded to get dressed into suitable attire.

I wore a pair of white trainers, a pair of deep blue ripped jeans, a white over sized t-shirt with a dark yellow-orange flannel top.

Once finished, I trotted out of my room whilst fixing my recently cut hair.

I waltzed down the stairs my familiar following eagerly, padding closely at my heals.

I gave Ember a small scratch behind the ear and strolled off into the kitchen. Ember sat on the counter watching me work as I scraped together enough ingredients to make a few pancakes.

"Never made pancakes before, getting tired of that same cereal every day?" Ember mewed.

"It's Jim's recipe, thought I'd try it out!" I called back whilst stirring a bowl of pancake mix.

Once I made them I placed a couple of plates on the table and slid a pair of pancakes on them.

"Ta da?" I squeaked as Ember jumped up onto the table, cautiously sniffing the breakfast.

"Er- you sure this is edible?" She muttered.

"Hey! I'm doing my best here!" I snapped as I took a seat on the wooden benches next to the table.

I picked up my fork and reluctantly shoved a piece of the pancake into my mouth. I gagged the moment my tongue touched the vile concoction.

"This is-" I was cut short by my familiar.

"Absolutely infernal!" She insulted as she used one of her paws to push the plate away from her.

"Well you don't have to be so rude about it! There not THAT bad" I shot a small glance at the almost green pancake that lay on my plate and sighed.

"Maybe I'll just stick to cereal..." I spat scrapping my tongue to get the taste of the pancakes off it.

I settled for eating the same cereal I've had every day, before grabbing my phone and leaving the house.

***

By the time I arrived at the street Jim and Toby lived on, it appeared Toby was already celebrating Jim's birthday by waving a large cardboard cake out the window, though, it looked like someone took a pretty big bite out of it.

I chuckled at how enthusiastic the hazel haired boy was, despite knowing how much his friend loathed his birthday.

I glanced into Jim's window to see him fiddling with his walky-talky, I'm assuming he was finding it hard to get it working.

After about half a minute the radio in my pocket jolted to life with a number of clicks and static out bursts.

I picked it up and ease dropped on their conversation, it was mainly just Toby blabbing on about happy birthday and what not.

Then Jim decided to point out the missing chunk of Toby's cardboard cake.

"Hey Tobes, I think someone took a bite out of your cake!" He laughed.

"Ah, that was Aaarrrgghh, he thought it was real!" Toby informed.

"Who's Aaarrrgghh?" I asked finally deciding to break my ever lasting silence.

"Oh! Y/n! I forgot you- uh also had one of these..." Jim stammered.

"That wasn't the question Jim!" I laughed playfully.

"Ehh it doesn't matter! I'll tell you another time, start heading round so we can give Jimbo his presents!" Toby said smoothly. He was obviously a lot cooler with the situation then Jim.

"I'm outside yours now, I'll climb through the window!" I called.

"You know you can just use the door right?" Jim chuckled to himself.

"And where's the fun in that! You wish you were as brave as me!"

"You know, someone once said to me fear is what keeps you alive!" Jim whimpered with his usual voice crack.

I didn't reply, I was more taken back by Jim's sudden boost of wisdom. I'd heard that saying before, like a distant memory I just couldn't quite place. But where?