17. Goblin Troubles

After she'd hidden in the forest for over an hour, Y/n crept out of the dense undergrowth around her and began the cold trek home.

Each time something shifted through the trees she flinched and spun around to see what it was. Her nerves were on edge since her fight with Bular. She knew a bulky Troll like him would never be able to sneak up on someone, but the anxieties were still there nonetheless.

She'd turned back into her human form after fleeing into the woodland, and she ached from her injuries. Her back was raw from having it scraped against the brick wall, she could feel blood and fresh cuts plastering the skin.

The silhouette of her house soon crept up through the night time gloom and she quickened her pace. After clambering over the wooden fence her face dropped.

The garden was littered with upturned earth and shattered plant pots. The house wall was battered and the fencing around it didn't look much better. She groaned and ran her hands through her hair.

Voices caught her ears. Loud and concerned from the front of the building. Footsteps approached through the dimly lit house and the familiar figures of Jim and Toby came through the darkness.

"Jeez Y/n!" Jim exclaimed as her surveyed the damage. "You shouldn't have tried to fight Bular."

"I'm alive aren't I?" She asked with a groan, the way she felt, bruised and battered, she could've sworn she was dead.

"But- but how..?" Toby stammered with disbelief. He circled her with a baffled expression a few times at the sight of her still in one piece.

Words caught in her throat. She'd decided earlier it was best to come clean about everything. Everything. But now that she was about to she couldn't form the proper sentence without choking.

"I- Therese a somewhat... reasonable explanation that you probably won't find very reasonable..." she stuttered, trying to prolong the truth for as long as possible.

"For why you knocked out Jim or how you aren't dead?" Toby asked sarcastically.

"Hey- it's not my fault you tried breaking into my house!" She argued.

Jim chuckled at the pointless bickering, "let's just go somewhere more warm. We shouldn't stay here though in case Bular comes back."

Y/n nodded in agreement and followed Jim off into the streets. The inky sky above was strewn with glittering specks of stars with were splayed about randomly.

"You, uh... you seam pretty chilled out about this whole situation..." Jim commented with confusion.

Y/n soon realised that the situation was all a bit odd. As far as Jim and Toby knew of she'd never known about the magical world before hand, and her lack of panic was probably pretty strange.

"I... I'm not unfamiliar with this kind of stuff..." she responded hesitantly. "I can explain everything, I'm just pretty tired right now..."

The two boys shared baffled glanced but didn't press on for information.

Soon, they arrived at the canals, and slid down the sloped walls with ease. Jim and Toby sped ahead, whispering a quick argument about what they were about to do.

Y/n could only pick up a few words from the conversation, her head still ringing with headaches:"She's... we can't... injured... Vendal..."

She didn't bother trying to eavesdrop of anymore of the discussion and instead just waited.

"Ok, we're gonna take you to Trollmarket but your gonna have to promise you won't say anything to anyone." Jim instructed, turning back around to face the y/h/c girl.

"I won't tell a singe soul." She assured them with a dramatic bow of sarcasms.

Sizzling could be heard as she picked herself up. Jim held an eerily glowing gem with a handle attached to it. The crystal left a trail of scorch marks along the wall that drew an archway. Once the image was complete, the stone inside of the line began to crumble away into nothingness.

Y/n's mouth gaped open with astonishment. She'd never actually been inside of Trollmarket, she'd heard only stories of it.

A crystal staircase of spectral blue lined the walls that led deeper into the earth.

A smile spread across Y/n's face as she stared in the breathtaking sight. As the group made their way down the entrance the rest of Trollmarket became visible. Dotted with various shops and stalls that had been set up, and at the very centre was the Heart Stone. It shon with a blazing glow that engulfed the space around it and lit up the cavern.

As they made their way through the underground city, Trolls gawked skeptically at Y/n while she passed, whispering to each other with gruff voices.

They eventually met up with two Trolls. One was blue with four arms and six eyes which made him stand out a lot. The one next to him was much, much larger. He was made from grey stone and was coated with mossy fur along his back.

As they approached Y/n noticed a smaller Troll on the back of the big one that was about the size of a cat. He was green in colour and had a spiky brown cape of hair along his neck and shoulders.

"You've brought the wrath of goblin vengeance here!?" The blue Troll screamed at the tiny one with disbelief tinged in his voice.

The small one defended himself with a hoarse voice, "no, they're after the girl they think she did it."

Jim's face lit up with horror and realisation.

"You mean they're going after Claire!?"