8. Freedome

I landed not so gracefully on shaking ankles for a brief moment before toppling onto the floor. Luckily for me, I'd landed on a large patch of luscious green grass. It didn't stop the fall from hurting but it certainly stopped me from breaking, like, all my bones.

I stumbled to my feet, hissing as I realised I'd spoken too soon and it's possible I broke my ankle, or very badly sprained it.

I glanced up to see the frustrated face of Nomura peering down at me. She was clutching the windowsill with an iron grip and leaning through where the window once stood.

I couldn't help but snicker at her failed attempt to capture me. I looked at her with a smug face before giving her a mocking salute and dashing off.

It was about mid day and I couldn't be bothered going to school now, besides I couldn't risk being visited by a certain changeling or troll on my way there.

After I was a couple of blocks away from the museum I slowed my pace into a steady walk, my right ankle giving way to a slight limp. I was so sure I'd get home without any trouble but alas, the universe just loves to prove me wrong.

I saw a pair of black shoes standing in front of me. I drew my gaze from the floor to see the face of a police officer glaring at me with a plastered face of disappointment. His hands rested on his hips defiantly as he stared.

"What do we have here?" He asked, "skipping school?"

"Uh- I- um-" I croaked. I didn't know what to say.

"Uh- I'm sick...?" I rasped.

"Really? You don't look sick." He barked as he leaned forward suspiciously.

"Alright, alright... the truth is... my uncle died last weak... I'm headed to his funeral..." I whimpered.

This seams to have taken the police officer back. His face washed over with guilt and regret.

"God I'm really sorry can I get you a lift?" He offered eagerly.

"No, no I'm fine I need the fresh air!"

"If you say so, have a nice day!" And with that he disappeared into his navy blue and pearl white car.

I held my arm up in a swift wave before continuing to track back home. I took a deep sigh of relief, I'm surprised that worked!

***

I flung open my oak wood door briefly skidding my fingers over the green bushes that lingered on the front lawn. I flung myself inside and locked the door.

Night fall was due in a couple hours and I wasn't looking forward to another visit from an angry changeling.

As soon as I started to make my way towards the stair case I was tackled to the floor. I caught a swift glimpse of distinct burnt ginger fur before I plummeted with a thud.

I groaned at the sudden pains spiralling in my back. I then proceeded to scan the room for my assailant, nothing. Then my eyes landed on a dark ginger tabby standing on my flattened out chest staring at me with a pair of amber and dark forest eyes.

(Reference photo if u want it:)

"Emberous!" I exclaimed in shock

"Emberous!" I exclaimed in shock. The cat started licking my face wildly, it's purring sounding like a gentle motor rumbling on my chest.

"Where have you been! After you left yesterday you never came back!" She mewed worriedly. I stared at my familiar. Her dark ginger coat with even darker markings looked like lapping flames in the light of the temporary sun.

Her wispy white muzzle shone, along with the odd tuff of white fur on her chest along with the white tip that clung to her tail.

"Now that's, a long story!" I huffed as I gently used my hands to heard my familiar off of me. I rose to my feet slightly stumbling when the ginger molly decided to hitch a ride on my left shoulder.

I glided into the kitchen and eagerly poorer myself a glass of cold water. I chugged it like I hadn't drunk in 24 hours, which I hadn't thanks to Nomura and her stoney friend.

I then plopped the empty glass on the side ready to wash later and collapsed on the sofa. Ember jumped off of my shoulder and onto the empty space on the cushion next to me.

She sat down in a dignified manner wrapping her sleek tail neatly over her soft, ginger paws.

I knew she was waiting to hear what had happened to me prior yesterday. So I buckled up and prepared my explanation, carefully planning each detail in my mind, painting a clear picture of how to include important details and how to word them as not to worry my familiar too much.