the perfect chance

It wasn't soon after, Sarah came into the room and sat on my bed.

"How are you feeling" she asked smiling.

"A lot better" I gave a small nod.

"We're taking you home today Kie"

"No. I'm fine, I'm not even in any pain.. barely. I promise you I'm fine. I want to be here"

Sarah let out a long sigh. "I figured you'd say that" she playfully rolled her eyes "you're so stubborn"

I shrugged and gave a grin.

"He's still sleeping eh?" Sarah asked looking over at JJ.

"Would you expect otherwise?" I laughed. As I said that, JJ turned all the way around, almost upside down and let out a quiet snore.

Sarah laughed. "Well we should probably get going"

"Okay, do you wanna wake him up?"

"I think I'm gonna have to pass on that..good luck!" She sped out the room leaving me to do the job.

I sighed. I took the hair tie off of my wrist and flung at at JJ.

"Wake upppp" I nagged. "JJ come on dude" I got up and walked over to him, shaking him. "Get up, get up, get up"

He still lied there without making a sound or movement.

"Ugh you're impossible" I started yanking his hair.

"Mm what're you doing" he said with his eyes still closed.

"Time to wake up JJ"

"Let me sleep" he shoved his hand at me.

"I'll buy you food"

He shot up with his eyes still half closed. "Bacon"

I laughed. "Okay I'll buy you bacon"

We came out of the room and checked out. The 6 of us went outside to see how the van was. The twinkie was basically toast. A tow truck was coming to take it to a repair shop later today, so until it was ready we either had to wait, or rent a car, and we had barely any money.

"Well I guess we have to stay for awhile" John B sighed, looking around.

"We could stay in a motel until the van is ready" Sarah offered walking over to John B.

"With what money? We barely have any and we have to pay to get the twinkie fixed" he answered with a long face.

"Plus Kiara's hospital bill didn't help" JJ said in a cough, teasing the girl.

Kiara's eyebrows wrinkled. "You could have just left me to die"

He chuckled and added a wink.

"Well I brought all the cash I had" Pope interjected, pulling a bunch 20's and a one hundred dollar bill out of his wallet.

Sarah's mouth gaped open. "You've been holding out on us!"

Pope shrugged. "I wanted to save it for emergencies"

"Well I think that emergency is now bud" JJ said patting Pope on his shoulder.

"Right, so choose one or the other - rent a car or motel"

They all looked at each other. "Car" they all said in agreement.

They went to a car shop and rented the cheapest car. It was a big van that would hold them all. John B drove, Sarah sat in the passengers seat, Cleo and Pope in the second row, and Kiara and JJ together in the third. There was about 5 hours left til they got to Florida. The ride was mostly silent aside from occasional snoring, mostly coming from JJ.

"What's up with you and your friends with snoring?" Cleo asked Pope, laughing.

Pope shrugged, smiling. "Beats me"

Pope's stomach started growling.

"Uh is that you?" Cleo asked raising one eyebrow.

"Uhh yeah"

"Here" she grabbed two granola bars out of her backpack and handed him one, while she took the other "I managed to sneak two granola bars at the hospital"

"My savior!" Pope replied while unwrapping the snack.

---

"We're here" John B stopped the car in the front of a building. "This is where Wheezie said she'll be"

They all stepped out of the car and stood in front of the building. It was tall, wide and had two big open doors. It was made of bricks, all chipped and the paint all crusty.

"What is she selling us drugs or something?" JJ asked staring at the sketchy building.

"So much for a 'safe place' to meet" Kiara added in.

"Why are you guys so scared?" Cleo shrugged, looking over at them.

"Pfft scared, we're not scared" JJ pulled out a gun from behind his shirt.

"Finally you brought the gun!" Kiara declared.

He chuckled.

"Let's go, this place is giving me the creeps" Pope said leading the way.

They all arrived at the door together and opened it, walking in together. It was completely dark, and really cold inside.

"Wheeze?" Sarah called out a bit frightened. "Wheezy, it's Sarah. where are you?"

There was no reply in the dark shadows. They all stood glued to the ground. A bat flew over their heads and they all jumped, Kiara letting out a little squeal.

"Aw you squeaked" JJ pointed to Kie mocking her.

"Hey guys!"

"AHH" JJ threw his hands up and jumped.

They looked behind them to see Wheezy, standing by the door.

"Aw you screamed" Kiara said pointing to JJ and laughing at him.

"Pfft"

"Wheezy!" Sarah shrieked running over to her giving a hug. "I missed you so much"

"I missed you too Sarah!"

"So where's my dad?" John B asked digging his nails into his palms.

"Uh I don't know. But you better find him fast before Ward does"

"Do you have any idea where he could be?" Pope asked.

"All I know is he couldn't have left the state yet. He's still somewhere close by, Ward said"

Sarah nodded. "Come on, I don't like it here" Sarah said as she guided Wheezy outside and into the car while the rest followed.

He walked out of the shadows and peered the door open, pulling his gun out to magnify so he could see, as he looked out the door watching the 7 of them get into the car, waiting for the perfect chance to get his revenge.

-----------------------------------------------------------

A/N - I'd like for you guys to comment if you think I should keep the chapters how they are, usually about 1,000 words each, or make them at least 2,000 words? Cause I feel like they're a little short 🤠