Chapter Sixteen

Xelqua glanced around the abandoned world one last time. He could've chosen a smaller one, but then it would've been less of an achievement if he had done it, so he chose an average size one. He'd felt strong enough to do it for a while now - maybe about two weeks in human time - and today was the day he was going to try. Oリᒷ and T∴𝙹 were visiting T⍑∷ᒷᒷ, meaning he had another hour at least to try it without them knowing.

He brought down the familiar purple fog, lifted himself up off the ground and prepared himself, mentally more than physically. He was about to do it when two magical entities entered through the portal placed about ten blocks away from him. The fog dissipated quickly and he turned to see Oリᒷ and T∴𝙹.

I wasn't, could he really lie? I- I mean I was just-

Continue. Oリᒷ said.

What? I thought you wouldn't want me doing this. Xelqua replied, guiltily.

No, T∴𝙹 said lightly, continue if you want, pretend we aren't here. They said, and both of them let their wings lift them off the ground.

Um, okay. Xelqua replied, before also hovering a metre off the ground and re-summoning the purple fog. It gathered on the ground, a few tree tops poking out of it, and he lit his hands on fire, before taking a deep breath and doing it.

The ground disappeared, and the fog followed it, falling downwards unnaturally quick for a substance of similar consistency to evaporated water.

Xelqua let out a breath he didn't realise he'd been holding as he looked at the darkness beneath him. He'd done it. Alone.

Wow, well done. Oリᒷ said. I've never seen anyone do that. Xelqua grinned, before pulling a portal together and going through it, because he didn't know how much longer his wings would hold him for.

As soon as he was back in the obsidian room, he leaned against the wall next to the portal for support. He'd really pushed himself hard to do that, but the overwhelming sense of accomplishment made it worth it. A smile was spread across his face, and even if he wanted to he wouldn't be able to get it off.

We're proud of you. T∴𝙹 said, startling him a little since he hadn't noticed them follow. The two Watchers looked at each other, before looking back at Xelqua.

Oリᒷ lit their hand with a gentle flame, and before he could say anything, they put it to his forehead, gently touching roughly wear the Watcher symbol was located on his mask, before taking it away again.

And then Xelqua remembered everything.

He remembered the rails that took so long to construct, the Taurtis summoning platform, the mob farms, stealing from people, the obsidian over his chests, the updates and glitches, the Grian Empire, carrying TNT everywhere he went, the Property Police, Netty's treehouse, Solidarity's terrible pranks, Downtown Evo, all the sheep, Pearl... everything.

He remembered fighting the Ender Dragon and never returning home. He remembered resisting what the Watchers wanted every day until they finally took his memory and started again with him.

He didn't even realise he'd been unconscious until he woke up, on his bed. His magic had recovered fully, but that wasn't what he was thinking about. He got up and went downstairs to Oリᒷ and T∴𝙹, who were waiting for him.

Why did you give that to me? He asked, his mind travelling at a million miles per second.

Because we don't know how much longer we'd be able to. T∴𝙹 said. Xelqua's thoughts came to a halt.