[midsummers pt.1]

(tw: smut and topics pertaining to prison.)

The wind whips through my long hair, blowing it into my face as I bike along the coast of the beach. I shiver, feeling the cool beachy breeze bite my skin.

I look at my order list, and groan at the next name that I see.

"Topper. Of course." I mumble sarcastically. After that whole fiasco yesterday, I don't really want to face Topper right now, considering I punched him last time I saw him.

But it's my job. I think to myself. Getting fired is the last thing I want to have happen.

I arrive at Topper's large house, and spot some people standing on the front porch. I recognize Topper and his mom sitting at the table, but what surprises me is that a police officer paces around, talking about something that seems to be important.

So, I decide to eavesdrop(like any other person would).

I push my bike behind a tree, closer to where Topper is, and listen in on their conversation.

"There's a camera on the solar panel." The officer says. "We can't make out a face, but we were able to ID the other boat."

Fuck. They're talking about Pope and the boat.

"Whose boat is it?" Topper's mother asks.

"Registered to Heyward." The officer replies.

My heart sinks into my stomach.

"What happens now?" Topper asks. I can hear the relief in his voice. That sick fuck.

"Well, if you press charges, it's up to juvenile court."

I bite back a gasp. Juvie???

"Oh, my god. Pope." I mutter, realizing that they're going to arrest him.

I completely forget about the packages and sling my leg around my bike. I pedal as fast as I can away from the house.

I pull my phone out of my pocket and call Pope. No answer. I try JJ. Nothing. Kie doesn't pick up either, which leaves me no choice but to continue biking.

JJ told me that they would be helping out Mr. Heyward with the fish, so that's where I go. It's only when I arrive that I realize I'm too late. A police car stands outside, its red and blue lights flashing.

"Oh god. I'm too late." I say in dismay.

The customers eating out in the front watch as an officer pushes Pope out of the store, followed by his dad and everyone else. Fear fills his eyes as he's shoved towards the car.

Horror churns in my stomach. Pope can't get his scholarship if he's arrested.

"I did it." JJ says suddenly, stepping forward to face the officer.

"JJ." I say as I approach cautiously.

He gives me a reassuring look as if he wants to tell me that it'll be okay.

He turns back to the police officer and confesses that he was at fault for everything that happened that day. Pope's eyes widen as JJ replays all of the events, only now he's making it seem like he was forcing us to do it.

"It was all me. Pope had nothing to do with it." He ends.

The officer turns to Pope. "Can you confirm this is the whole story?"

Pope looks between JJ and I, having a silent conversation with his eyes. Finally, he relents. "...yes."

The officer takes the handcuffs off of Pope and latch them onto JJ's wrist. I wrap a comforting arm around Kie as we watch the police car drive away with JJ in it.