[parcel 9 pt. 1]

(tw: violence.)

"Do you want me to stop, Celeste?" Rafe asks a second time, gripping me harder in anticipation of my answer.

My breath gets caught up in my throat. I don't want him to stop; I don't want him to ever stop. I want him to hold me the way he is now, and kiss me so hard that neither of us can breathe. But I can't. Too much is holding me back.

"I-" I begin, but he puts his thumb on my lips, shushing me up almost immediately. He gazes down in focus at my lips as he runs his thumb down my lower lip, pulling it down slightly.

"You don't want me to stop, do you?" He says, a smirk fighting its way onto his mouth.

I don't. Don't stop, Rafe.

"I want you to stop." I finally gasp out, pressing against his chest to distance us more.

Please, don't stop.

His face is etched with hurt, and after a while of searching my eyes for answers, he releases me and breaks eye contact with me. A deep pit seems to start forming at the bottom of my stomach. He brings the joint up to his lips again, and I wish that he would at least look at me.

But he keeps his gaze trained at the door. With a swift motion, he has picked up his suit and tie and is leaving the room without another word. My mouth opens to call him back, but words can't form from the thickness in my throat.

I stand alone in the study and bite back the tears that are forcing their way from my eyes.

Oh god. I realize with a jolt. The plan.

I leave the house in a rush and find that everyone has already left their positions and gone to the secret location. I curse under my breath, angry that I could let Rafe distract me from what's most important.

I run as fast as my feet can carry me to the Hawk's Nest, where John B should be receiving Sarah's map by now. But my heart stops as I see what has happened when I reach the destination. John B is sprawled on the ground helplessly, Sarah and the rest of the group huddled around him in worry.

I look up to the Hawk tower, where a shadow of a person stands, looking down at John B. The border of the tower has broken off, and I piece together quickly that John B has fallen down from all the way up there.

I run over to him, and gasp loudly at his unconscious state.

"What happened?" I ask to a crying Kie, who shakes her head and points up.

I squint upward at the shadowy figure, and realize in horror that it's Topper. Guilt floods every inch of my body.

If I hadn't let Topper leave, we wouldn't be in this situation right now. If I hadn't let Rafe distract me like that, I would've gotten here in time to help.

This is all my fault.

"John B, stay with me." Sarah sobs, wrapping her arms around his head and cradling him against her lap.

She cups his face, and with tears streaming down her face, presses a soft kiss to his lips. I step back in shock.

No, it can't be. Him and Sarah?

What have you gotten yourself into, John B?

˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚˚

"Hey, so like, do you have a membership to the clubs now?" Pope asks, propping his arms behind his head.

I plop my legs onto the restaurant table and look wistfully out the window onto the deck.

John B sighs and sits down next to me. "I don't know, Pope."