[the aftermath]

Guys he's so bad I can't do this.

(tw: guns, shooting, blood, and violence.)

Oh god, the pain.

I double over on the ground, clutching at where I was shot. It's hard to pinpoint where the bullet went exactly, but it's definitely somewhere on my arm. My eyes start watering automatically, causing my vision to become a blur of objects and colors.

What just happened?

"Oh my god, Celeste." I hear someone murmur behind me.

Confusion racks my brain; nothing is making sense right now. I hear yelling, I see hands flailing, I feel a sharp pain spreading through my arm.

A wetness spreads over my clothing. I don't need to be a genius to know that's blood, and I'm covered in it.

I hear a wail of pain next to me.

My head whips around and my heart plummets into my stomach when I see the sheriff also sprawled on the ground, but in a much worse state than I am.

I don't understand. My brain is scrambling to connect the dots. How is she hurt too?

I heave myself onto my good arm, sitting up shakily. I feel hands trying to help me get up, but I don't care enough to figure out who it is. My entire focus is on Sheriff Peterkin. And it's not looking good.

Blinking my eyes, my vision clears and I can finally fully see what has happened. John B and Sarah are at Susan's side, their faces painted in worry. I look down at her chest, where a large blood stain is rapidly blooming.

Oh my god. We both took the bullet.

Wow. My single attempt at being a hero has failed tremendously. Not only did I get myself hurt, but I couldn't save the sheriff from getting hurt as well. What's more, it doesn't look like she's going to make it.

Her breaths are turning ragged, her body is twitching uncontrollably. I see John B take out a handkerchief and attempt to put pressure on the wound, but that only makes Susan start wheezing even harder. Ignoring the hands that are trying to grab at me, I hoist myself up to all fours and crawl over to where the sheriff is laying.

Up close, it's looking even worse. The blood has soaked through her entire vest by now and I can detect that her movement is becoming increasingly choppier.

"Hold still, hold still." John B chokes out, continuing to press on her wound with the cloth.

I put my hands on her shoulders, looking in her desperate eyes. Tears fight their way to the surface of my own, but now's not the time to be weak.

"Sheriff, take deep breaths, okay? Someone is going to come help." I gasp, my own pain making it hard to breathe.

She continues to huff strained breaths, but her body stops twitching and she seems to become calmer.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry." John B pants, the helplessness evident in his tone.

I look behind me to where Rafe is. His head is in his hand, eyes widened in utter horror. The gun he used to shoot me is clutched in his free hand, but he looks at it as if it's a foreign object.

It's still not registering in my head that he actually took the shot.

Is this the extent you'll go to protect your father, Rafe? Is this what you're willing to put on the line? A human life?

"C-call!" Susan hisses behind me.

Ward bends down next to the sheriff, and I immediately rush forward to stop him from coming any closer.

Unhinged [Rafe Cameron]जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें