The School of Your Dreams - Part 2

"It's nice to meet you, Ayanokouji-kun. I always want to be friends with everyone, just like you. Let's both do our best, okay?" Hirata responded with a refreshing smile.

I sat down. My introduction wasn't the worst, but it wasn't the best either. It didn't attract too much attention.

● ● ● ●

The entrance ceremony was the same as any other school's. Some important people offered words of thanks, and the ceremony concluded without incident. Then, it was noon. After we received some general information about the campus, the crowd dispersed.

I made my way to the dormitory, my home from this day onwards. At the reception desk, I received a keycard for Room 401 and a handbook containing information about the dorm's rules, then boarded the elevator.

I quickly flipped through the handbook, which only detailed the most basic things that we needed for our daily routines. The dates and times for garbage disposal were listed, as well as a notice about avoiding excessive noise. I also saw notes about not wasting water or electricity, and so on.

"So, they don't place restrictions on electricity or gas usage?"

I'd assumed that the school would deduct the cost from our points. This school really went to great lengths to have a perfect system for its students.

However, I was a little surprised that they'd implemented co-ed dormitories. After all, this was a high school, so the rules stated that unsuitable romantic relationships were frowned upon.

In short, sex was strictly forbidden... obviously. I mean, a member of the clergy wouldn't say that engaging in illicit sexual activity was okay.

While I privately doubted that such pampered students could develop into fine, upstanding adults, it would be wise to make the best of the situation for now.

My room was about eight tatami mats wide. Also, though this was a dorm, it was the first time I'd lived alone. I refused to have any contact with the outside world until graduation.

Considering my situation, I unintentionally cracked a smile. This school boasted a high employment rate upon graduation, and its facilities and student services were unmatched throughout the country, making it the preeminent high school in Japan.

I found such things trivial, however. I'd chosen this school for one fundamental reason. At this high school, people were not allowed to contact students without permission, even if they were friends or immediate family.

I greatly appreciated that. I was free.

In English, they would call it, "freedom."
In French, they would call it, "liberté."

No one else's eyes or words would ever reach me. I could begin anew entirely. A new life. I resolved to enjoy my time here to the fullest, but without drawing attention to myself.

Still in my uniform, I dived into my already-made bed. I felt far from tired, however.

I was so incredibly excited about my new life that I was unable to calm down. My eyes remained wide open.

● ● ● ●

On our first day of class, we spent most of our time running over the course objectives. Apparently, many of the students were quite surprised, if not a little disappointed, by how genuinely warm and friendly the teachers at this school looked.

Some students were sleeping through the class and didn't listen to the teachers. I thought that the teachers would notice, but they showed no signs of doing so. After all, it was up to every individual student whether or not he or she wanted to listen in class.