Remain Silent

Songs to listen to while reading:
"Bullet" by Ann Marr
"Heartbreak Anthem" by Little Mix (Clean Bandit remix)
"Smells Like Teen Spirit" by Nirvana

Manhattan was ethereal just before dawn, the glimmer of the skyscrapers and neon signs hanging in the windows of nearby shops and bars almost brighter than the stars dotting the sky above. Traffic scarce except for a couple of vehicles, the quiet nature perfect for a laidback drive. No one was in a rush to arrive to school on time, work an early morning shift at the office, go for a supermarket run because their fridge needed a restock.

Chocolate glazed donut in one hand and the other around the wheel, Officer Malachai Parker cruises down the road and keeps an eye on the passerby. The workplace colleagues instead referred to him as Kai since it was easier to remember, not that he minded. Joining the force two and a half years ago had been a wonderful choice, being that it was his dream to serve and protect since childhood. Bitter memories of his father dying after being shot in a convenience store while buying gas still lingered every time he made a new arrest. One day, if justice was kind to him, maybe he'd put the man away for life and avenge the needless death.

Tears sprung to his azure eyes, and he ashamedly wiped them. Guilt raged as he scolded himself internally, reminding himself that there were people who had lost their family members in more unfortunate and painful ways. Car accidents, plane wrecks, freak accidents. It didn't matter that he'd only been five years old when it had happened, he felt it with his entire soul. Father's day was always the worst, and even though he visited his mom regularly he felt bad leaving her alone.

A yawn left him and then he took a swig of his macchiato to wash down the dessert he'd engulfed. It was the only thing he'd had all day besides a sub from 45th street and since he wouldn't be home for a while it would at least hold him until then. It's all of a sudden that a call from dispatch comes over the radio and he picks up in an instant to overhear. "It appears we have a 314 on our hands. Suspect is drunk and the bar owner's received numerous complaints in the past hour by customers." 314 was better known as the code for public indecency. Flashing, masturbation, and streaking all fell under that category.

"On my way." Boring had the day been so far, most of those he'd escorted to jail had been misdemeanors at best over things like shoplifting and vandalism. This case was at least somewhat interesting, especially since he'd never come across one before.

The Bronx was no more than 20 minutes away, and in that window he was able to pull up every detail about the woman in question. No prior offenses except a speeding ticket. 22 years of age. Was a student at NYU. It was a very real possibility she could be let off with a warning instead of having to go through processing and sit in a jail cell. It's not like she was a cold-blood, escaped felon. Harmless and probably just using alcohol to forget the worries of life.

Music playing just faintly, he eased back against the headrest and took in the sights before him. A middle-aged woman getting in an early run with her golden retriever. The Hudson river reflecting all the street lamps. Yankee Stadium unoccupied, but still so breathtaking. To say he didn't love every bit of New York would be a lie, after all it was considered the greatest city in the world for a reason.

In the distance, a woman clad in not much else besides a lacy black push-up bra and a matching skirt was gyrating her hips provocatively and whooping loudly. The onlookers sat at the outdoor picnic tables were uncomfortably shifting and audibly grumbling with chagrin.

Kai took a deep breath and exited his vehicle, pistol and walkie-talkie in reaching distance on the off chance violence ensued. "Excuse me, miss," he called out softly, trying out a kind approach first. "It appears maybe you had one too many drinks. I could give you a ride home and put this all behind you if you'd like."