Nightmares 2

Travis' Pov:

After eating breakfast Sal and I sit down on his couch to watch TV.

My dad never allowed me to watch any sort of shows, he'd always say it would twist my mind and that I have better things to focus on -church, for example. For my dad, church was everything. I was never allowed to do anything that could give people a wrong impression on me and my dad. That includes video games ans TV shows. It got to a point where I was even surprised when he bought me a phone.

Sal picks up the remote control and turns on the TV. I lay my eyes on him and realize that he's wearing his usual pigtails, so his ears are showing. I make out two black earrings and cringe at the sight of it. I knew he was gay -well, at least I thought so but after our conversation in the school's bathroom I wasn't so sure after all- but I still didn't get used to his fashion sense.

I mean, he looks good. Even better than I'd ever admit to myself, but my dad managed to twist my mind in a way that I'm still trying to understand.

„So, what do you wanna watch, dude?" Sal keeps his eyes on the TV and I snap out of my thoughts.

„Well- I never really, you know, watched TV so I don't know what's good." I admit kind of embarrassed of my sad childhood.

This seems to catch Sal's attention and he looks at me, an excited spark in his eyes.

„Are you serious?" he gasps and I helplessly lift my shoulders.

"Wait, I know what we can watch!" Sal turns on some show, excited to introduce me to it.

The day continues with us sitting on the couch and watching TV. Sal keeps showing me different shows and it was actually quite fun. At some point, we eventually make lunch and as we sit at the table, Sal seems to have the need to talk.

"Look, uhm, I know you don't really wanna be here but it would be best if you stay another night so I can keep taking care of you." his voice sounds serious and his eyes are looking for mine.

I don't really know what to answer for a second so I just sit there and stare at him in silence. My mum knows where I am and she wouldn't really care if I slept here another night. I texted her this morning.

I wanted to sleep here another night.

But I couldn't let Sal know that. I was barely able to admit it to myself. Being around Sal this much is a weird feeling that I fail to describe. It feels good. I feel safe and his calm personality makes me almost feel comfortable. Every time I look at him my heart makes a tiny jump and his laughter almost makes me want to cry happy tears. But then there's this different feeling that's threatening to overcome me. It feels bad that it feels so good. It makes me want to run out of this apartment and never look at Sal again, forget about him completely and bury these weird feelings I feel for him.

I remember the dude from school.

"I saw how you were looking at him."

I feel torn apart and look up to Sal, who's still looking at me, waiting for an answer.

But I'm unable to say a thing.

"Travis, like I said I know you don't like being around me. You don't have to make a secret out of it. But I'm fine with that, believe me. I just want to help you and I think I can do that best when you're here. Tomorrow you can go home, but it's too risky to leave you alone now, man." his eyes lock with mine and I'm almost mesmerized by the genuine look in them.

He really does want to help me.

But... why? All I ever did was being a dick to him. I don't deserve him helping me. I don't deserve his kindness.