Please Give My Regards...

A/N: This is inspired by Unrequited? by sour_rose61 on AO3.

Sue and Sonia are sitting close to each other, their knees touching as they huddled over the letter in their hand. There was a tiny bit of blood splattered onto it in one corner and the handwriting was a messy scrawl like someone had written it in a hurry.

Dear Sonia,

If you are reading this, then maybe the day at the radio station hadn't gone as well as any of us had anticipated. Maybe we are dead, maybe we are in jail... I don't know. But maybe, as long as what we set out to do happened, I guess we are happy with that. I am glad at least the last days of our lives were spent fighting for something worthwhile.

Tell Maa and Mitro that I love them. Sue, good luck with the documentary. You taught us a lot of lessons with that and I hope that others will benefit from it too.

And one last thing... Sonia, please give the letter enclosed in this one to Vikrant. I will have mentioned his number in the bottom of the page. Also... if he comes, please tell him that I love him and that I am sorry I couldn't keep the promise I made.

Take care, guys.

Karan.

"Vikrant?" Sonia asked softly. "Who's this Vikrant? Why is Karan making this special mention? why in the world has he mentioned to say some specific words?"

"There's only one way to find out" Sue said, holding out a phone.

<Line break>

They'd successfully contacted Vikrant and whoever it was, immediately agreed to come down and meet up with them, no questions asked.

"Hi. Are you Sonia and Sue?" a man asked, completely out of breath as he stared at them.

"Yeah. And you must be Vikrant..."

"You said you had something for me?"

"Oh, yeah, Karan asked us to give this to you... in case he... passed away."

"Oh." The man looked downcast at that news, going up to fiddle with some sort of band that was around his wrist before pulling back and stretching his hand out. Sonia silently placed the letter onto his hand and the 3 of them stood there awkwardly, the curiosity of the girls increasing by the minute.

"How do you know Karan?" Sonia finally asked. "He never mentioned you at any time since the time we met..."

Vikrant, who'd been engrossed in the letter, finally looked up, a thin film of wetness coating his eyes.

"I... We..." he paused to clear his throat. "We were from the same boarding school. We were kind of close back then."

"You had a falling out?"

"No! Not really. I wouldn't call it a falling out. I would rather call it a 'parents forcing each other away' kind of a situation cuz neither of our dads liked the proximity the two of us shared... though we did sneakily try to keep in touch. Wouldn't work every time but... you can only wish" he shrugged with a tight smile on his face.

"Who were you to him? Why didn't he tell any of us about you?"

"We were taboo. That's all I can say. We were taboo and we have to hide. Coming out in the open isn't something we can really hope for. Going through that once was more than enough. I am just sad that we couldn't meet again" he sighed, wiping a tear that stubbornly fell off his eye.

"Anyways, it was nice meeting you two."

"Will we meet again?"

"Probably not. We both are in different phases of the same person's life. It is best if we never meet because sometimes, some things best stay hidden. Thank you, though. For taking the effort." he said softly and left without another word.

"Do you think..."

"No Sonia, I don't think this is something to speculate about. Whatever it is, let it rest. As he said, some things are best left undisturbed because that is when they truly shine." Sue stared at the man's retreating back, a heaviness in her heart increasing as she saw 3 people who had lost the love of their lives, forever.

A/N: This will have part two with Vikrant's POV. I was initially about to write Vikrant's letter in this one also but... this was from Sonia's POV and it just didn't feel right. I might come about to post it sometime next week I think? Next two weeks? Let's see. Hope you all like it! All comments and criticisms accepted and appreciated! Prompts are welcome!

Thank you all for reading!!!!!!!!!!

Rasnak signing off :) ;)

UPDATED ON 28 AUGUST 2021