𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗜𝗜-𝗖𝗘𝗥𝗘𝗠𝗢𝗡𝗬

Eve eagerly shared with Elizabeth and the Governor all the things she had enjoyed during her time in France as they arrived at Fort Charles

Eve eagerly shared with Elizabeth and the Governor all the things she had enjoyed during her time in France as they arrived at Fort Charles. With a little assistance from the governor, they exited the carriage, but not before he lectured them about displaying decorum in front of Commodore Norrington.

The ceremony began, and as the other soldiers of the Royal Navy moved in perfect synchronization, James stood out, walking proudly with his head held high. He had undergone some changes since Eve last saw him, trading his black wig for a white one. Dressed in his blue and white uniform adorned with golden details, he looked remarkably handsome, causing Eve to shyly hide her face behind her fan while keeping her eyes fixed on him.

Eve's red hair swayed gently in the light wind as she observed James step onto the stage in front of Weatherby. The Governor removed the sword from its presentation case, which a uniformed Navy man had been holding, and handed it to James with precise choreography. James firmly grasped the scabbard above Weatherby's hand, and as Weatherby released it, James drew the sword, flourishing it and snapping the blade in front of his face. Eve watched his every move attentively, secretly amazed by his confidence. Weatherby stepped forward again and pinned a medal onto James's jacket before stepping back once more.

Standing beside Eve was Elizabeth, discreetly attempting to adjust her corset but failing to do so. She shot a worried glance at Elizabeth, who waved it off, trying to appear unaffected. Eve continued to look at Elizabeth with concern, but her attention soon returned to James, almost mesmerized. James nodded and then turned smartly to acknowledge his fellow officers, followed by a nod to the audience.

The sun's heat began to weigh on Eve, although she wore fewer layers than Elizabeth, who was fanning herself anxiously, looking pale and perspiring. Eve grew increasingly worried about her sister, but there was little she could do in that moment except place her hand on Elizabeth's back for comfort.

James flourished his sword once more and returned it to its scabbard, breaking the silence with applause and backslapping from the Navy men. Elizabeth still appeared uncomfortable in the audience, clapping briefly alongside Eve but wincing afterward. She made another discreet attempt to adjust her corset through the fabric of her dress before continuing to applaud, trying to hide her discomfort.

Eve attempted to distract Elizabeth, who was still weakly fanning herself, looking visibly pale and on the verge of passing out. She guided her towards the parapet, but in the corner of her eye, she noticed James approaching them. However, she paid him little attention, as her primary concern was Elizabeth's well-being.

"We need to find somewhere private immediately. You look like you're about to faint," Eve stated, to which Elizabeth let out a dry, short laugh. "Father said it's the latest fashion in London. I suppose they've learned to carry on with less oxygen," Elizabeth replied, now noticing James standing beside them. This provided Eve with an opportunity to observe him up close.

Dark circles were visible under James's eyes, and he appeared to have freshly shaved that morning, most likely for the ceremony. Eve captured a glimpse of his green eyes from the side and noticed his slight nervousness. She couldn't deny that he was incredibly attractive. James gave a brief nod to Eve, and she blushed slightly, convinced that he knew she had been watching him.

"It's been a while since I last saw you, Miss Swann. Did you enjoy your time in France?" James inquired, and Eve nodded briefly, her blush still lingering. "I did enjoy my stay there. It was beautiful, and I even brought my favorite French books with me," she responded, her eyes lighting up once again, just as they had in the carriage. James noticed her enthusiasm.

"I'm glad you enjoyed your time there. How long do you plan on staying here before returning, if you plan on going back to France at all?" James remembered their last encounter four years ago. He stood beside Elizabeth and the Governor, aware that Eve wasn't related to them by blood, but unaware of her true last name, which was inconsequential to him.

Back then, he had observed how Eve always kept her distance from the water, realizing over time that she must have been afraid of it. "I don't have any plans to go back to France at the moment. I missed being able to read and do things with Elizabeth, so I'm glad to be able to do so again," she replied, prompting a nod from James.

"Very well. It's good to know that you're here permanently again. Elizabeth always told me about the letters you wrote to her." Eve was surprised that Elizabeth had spoken about her to James, casting a quick sidelong glance at her friend before nodding at James. "It's good to know she mentioned me."