𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗜𝗩-𝗜𝗡 𝗗𝗔𝗡𝗚𝗘𝗥

James takes the items from Mullroy's hands, noticing the powder on Jack's belt

James takes the items from Mullroy's hands, noticing the powder on Jack's belt. "Extra powder, but no additional shot," he remarks to Jack, who simply shrugs in response. James then unfastens the compass from his belt, opening it and frowning at the reading. Perplexed by his reaction, Eve steps forward to stand beside him and see the compass. James appears confused by her action but remains silent. Instead, he lowers his hand slightly so she can also look at it, and she scoffs at the compass. She looks at the pirate in front of her, furrowing her brow and shaking her head, then steps back as James moves the compass in different directions close to the ground.

"It doesn't point true," he declares, causing Jack to turn his head away in embarrassment. James shows no reaction to Jack's response. He returns the compass to his belt and draws Jack's sword from its scabbard. "I half expected it to be made of wood," he comments, sliding the sword back into the scabbard and handing it to Mullroy. "I'm going to take stock: You've got a pistol with only one shot, a compass that doesn't point north, a sword that looks like it's made of wood... and no ship. You are undoubtedly the worst pirate I've ever heard of," he observes, to which Jack doesn't hesitate to reply, "But you have heard of me." At least he's not entirely wrong, thought Eve.

Gillette finally returns with shackles and approaches the pirate. "Careful, Lieutenant," James warns him. Eve steps forward once again to protest against James' decision. "I must disagree with your decision once again, Commodore. Pirate or not, he saved Elizabeth's life," she argues.

"One good deed is not enough to redeem a man of a lifetime of wickedness," James immediately responds, disregarding her plea. Frustrated, Eve watches as Gillette secures the manacles around Jack's wrists and steps back behind James. "But it seems to be enough to condemn them," Jack interjects, and James sarcastically smiles in response, followed by an "Indeed."

Now that the pirate is securely chained, James instructs his men to lower their weapons. However, he immediately regrets his decision when Jack swiftly wraps the chain of his manacle around Eve's throat, causing her to gasp in surprise. The pistols are drawn once again, but with Eve standing in front of him, she serves as a shield.

"I may not understand the meaning of life or anything that comes with it, but I would still like to enjoy more time with Elizabeth. And just for the record, even if you were to choke me with that chain, I could still turn enough for them to shoot you," Eve defiantly declares, looking up at Jack as much as she can. Jack smiles in response and slowly backs away with her, prompting James to raise a cautioning hand to his men regarding their weapons.

"Commodore Norrington... my pistol and belt, please," Jack calls out to James. James locks eyes with Eve, who stares back at him, her pleading and fear evident. He clenches his fists in frustration but eventually gives in, accepting the pistol and belt from Mullroy and extending them to Jack.

"Eve... Your name is Eve, right?" he asks, to which Eve, more angry than anything else, retorts, "For you, it's Miss Swann." Regretting her failed attempt to stop James from punishing Jack, she realizes it wouldn't have worked anyway. "Miss Swann, would you be so kind?" Jack responds, finding amusement in the fact that James looks like he could kill him at any moment and that Eve's life is in his hands.

"What if I refuse? Are you going to try to kill me then?" Eve challenges. In response, Jack points his pistol in Elizabeth's direction, leaving her no choice but to comply. She takes Jack's belongings from James' hands, and Jack turns her around so that she faces him. Once again, he asks, "Now, would you be so kind?"

Eve understands what he wants from her: to put his belt on him. Left with no other option, she reluctantly starts fastening the belt around him. "You are despicable," she says through gritted teeth. "I saved your friend's life over there, and now you're saving mine. We're even," he replies, still smiling. "Sister," Eve corrects him, causing him to be momentarily confused. "She's my sister, not exactly my friend in that sense, for the record," she explains, and he nods in acknowledgment, saying, "Noted."

Once Eve finishes securing the belt, Jack turns her around once again and backs up until he bumps against the cargo gantry. "Gentlemen... ladies... You will always remember this day as the day that you almost caught, Captain Jack Sparrow." he proclaims, his voice filled with a mix of bravado and amusement.

As he leans back and falls off the gantry, James and his men rush to the edge to see Jack hanging onto the rope that suspends the gantry. Eve's heart skips a beat as she watches him swing back and forth, defying gravity.

Jack releases his grip on the rope and lands safely on the deck of the Black Pearl, which had silently approached the fort during the commotion. The crew, led by Gibbs, greets Jack with cheers and applause. Eve can't help but feel a mix of relief and disappointment. She had hoped that Jack would somehow stay and face the consequences of his actions, but deep down, she knew he could never be held captive for long.

As the Black Pearl sails away, James turns to Eve with a mix of frustration and resignation in his eyes. "Miss Swann, I apologize for my failure to apprehend Captain Sparrow," he says sincerely.

Eve looks at him, her anger replaced by a mixture of sympathy and understanding. "Commodore Norrington, it wasn't your fault. Jack Sparrow is a master of escape. I appreciate your efforts to maintain order and uphold the law," she replies, her voice tinged with genuine gratitude.

James nods, appreciating her understanding. "Thank you, Miss Swann. I will continue to do my duty to the best of my abilities," he says, determination evident in his voice. Eve smiles at him, recognizing the goodness in his intentions. "I have no doubt about that, Commodore. And perhaps one day, our paths will cross again under different circumstances," she remarks, her tone hopeful.

James offers her a small smile in return. "I would welcome that opportunity, Miss Swann," he says, his voice filled with sincerity. "Until then, take care, Commodore Norrington," Eve says, giving him a respectful nod. James watches as she walks away, his gaze lingering on her until she disappears from sight.

As James stands there, contemplating the events that have unfolded, he can't help but feel a sense of admiration for Eve and her unwavering spirit. He takes a deep breath, ready to face whatever challenges lie ahead, knowing that he will always strive to do what is right, even in the face of the most notorious pirates.