𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗩-𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗔𝗧𝗧𝗔𝗖𝗞

The entire bay, including the town, is now concealed under a thick blanket of fog

The entire bay, including the town, is now concealed under a thick blanket of fog. The only visible structure is Fort Charles, perched high on the bluff like a majestic ship sailing through a sea of grey. Above the fort, the sky is clear and black, adorned with stars and a waxing moon that casts an eerie glow on both the fort and the fog. Deep within the fog, like a shark fin cutting through water, the topmast of a ship with billowing black sails briefly emerges, just below the stone parapets of the fort. Atop the mast flutters a flag bearing a white Aztec skull.

The Black Pearl has arrived in Port Royal.

───❆✵ ·· ✵❆───

A maid retrieves two bed warmers from the fireplace and slides them between the sheets at the foot of Elizabeth's bed. Elizabeth and Eve, both dressed in their nightgowns, are already seated on the bed. "Nice and warm, thank you, Estrella," Elizabeth expresses her gratitude to the maid, who nods and leaves the room, leaving the two of them alone. Elizabeth gazes at Eve, who lies beside her, staring at the ceiling. "What are you thinking about?" Elizabeth inquires. Eve hums in response, taking a few minutes before finally speaking. "What do you mean?" she replies. Elizabeth furrows her brow. "You've been unusually quiet."

"Are you going to accept the Commodore's proposal?" Elizabeth attempts to divert the conversation, not wanting to answer Eve's question. "Is he the reason for your silence?" Elizabeth asks, to which Eve immediately shakes her head. "No, why would it be his fault?" "I never said it was, Eve. But do you have feelings for him?" Elizabeth asks with a smile. Eve shoots up into a sitting position, ready to protest. "I don't have feelings for him, though!" Suddenly, the lamp begins to dim, and both of them try to relight it. However, the flame extinguishes completely, plunging them into complete darkness.

The Black Pearl remains unseen, but the fog illuminates with each booming of its cannons. The ship unleashes its firepower on both the fort and the town, causing streets, buildings, docks, and ships to shatter and explode under the relentless assault. Villagers panic, seeking cover and dodging flying debris as best they can. If this isn't hell on earth, it's surely on the verge. Longboats emerge from the fog, carrying armed pirates who swarm ashore, indiscriminately striking down villagers and setting fires.

As soon as the first shots are fired, Elizabeth and Eve rush to the window to witness the scene. Through the fog, they observe multiple fires blazing and ships ablaze in the harbor, while shouts and cries of pain reverberate from all directions. Another cannon blast echoes through the night. "Eve, look!" Elizabeth calls out, pointing downwards. Two figures are approaching the house. "Those are pirates, Elizabeth! We have to do something!" Eve states, gently pulling her away from the window to avoid being seen. The two of them hurriedly leave the room, with Elizabeth grabbing onto the railing overlooking the foyer. She exclaims in alarm as the butler crumples to the floor when the door is forcefully opened.

Both of them crouch down in horror, peering through the balusters as the pirates search the foyer, looking for something—or rather, someone. The pale-looking pirate with a bald head appears to be their leader, and suddenly, he looks up, making eye contact with Elizabeth. How did he know they were there? "Up there!" he informs his partner, rushing towards the stairs. Eve pulls Elizabeth into the nearest room, locking the door behind them. They both listen anxiously as the pirates ascend the stairs. Suddenly, a voice emanates from behind them, causing them to jump in surprise. Estrella, the maid, stands there, terrified. The three of them engage in whispered conversation, hoping the pirates won't hear them.

"Are they here to kidnap both of you, miss? The daughters of a governor would be highly valuable," Estrella suggests, prompting Eve and Elizabeth to exchange glances, realizing the truth of her words. Then, a loud crash against the door resounds, and Elizabeth gives Estrella instructions on what to do next. "You must hide, Estrella. They haven't seen you yet, so when you get a chance, run away from here." Estrella nods, and as another crash reverberates against the door, Elizabeth guides Estrella into a corner, concealing her behind a wardrobe and a wall. She and Eve quickly exit the room, seizing the bed warmers along the way. Just as the door is forcefully opened, causing it to collide with the wardrobe, obscuring Estrella from view, the pirates storm in. Elizabeth strikes one of them in the face with the pan of a bed warmer, causing him to stagger back, clutching his nose.

Eve witnesses Estrella escaping to thesafety, slipping past the pirates undetected. She feels a surge of relief knowing that at least one of them has a chance to escape. Meanwhile, Elizabeth and Eve continue to defend themselves against the pirates with the bed warmers, using them as makeshift weapons. The pirates, caught off guard by their resistance, momentarily retreat, giving the two women a chance to flee.

Elizabeth grabs Eve's hand, and they dash down the hallway, taking a different route to evade the pirates. They navigate through the dimly lit corridors, their hearts pounding with fear and adrenaline. As they turn a corner, they come face to face with another group of pirates. Trapped between the two groups, they quickly assess their limited options.

Without hesitation, Elizabeth spots a nearby window and makes a split-second decision. She pulls Eve towards it, and together they smash through the glass, shards scattering into the night. They plummet down into a small garden, landing with a thud on the ground below. They quickly pick themselves up, ignoring the pain from the fall, and sprint away from the house, disappearing into the chaos of Port Royal.

The town is in disarray, engulfed in flames and echoing with the sounds of battle. Elizabeth and Eve navigate through the streets, avoiding the pirates as best they can. They blend in with the panicked crowd, their nightgowns and disheveled appearances allowing them to pass as frightened townsfolk seeking safety.

As they make their way through the chaos, they stumble upon a group of resistance fighters. These brave individuals have banded together to defend their town against the pirate onslaught. Elizabeth and Eve recognize some familiar faces among them, individuals they had encountered during their previous adventures.

The resistance fighters offer their assistance and protection to Elizabeth and Eve. Together, they form a plan to regroup, gather more allies, and mount a counterattack against the pirates. Despite the overwhelming odds, they refuse to surrender their town without a fight.

Throughout the night, Elizabeth and Eve fight side by side with the resistance, battling the pirates and doing everything in their power to protect the people of Port Royal. The night is long and treacherous, but their determination and resilience keep them going.

As dawn breaks, the combined efforts of the resistance fighters and the remaining Royal Navy forces begin to turn the tide. The pirates, realizing they are facing a united front, start to retreat, leaving behind a devastated Port Royal.

Elizabeth and Eve, exhausted but filled with a sense of accomplishment, stand amidst the ruins of their town. They have survived the attack, and although the cost has been high, they know that they have made a difference. With the support of the resistance fighters and the determination of the townsfolk, they will rebuild and ensure that Port Royal rises once again.

And so, Elizabeth and Eve, forged by the fire of adversity, become symbols of resilience and hope for their town. Together, they lead the efforts to rebuild, restore order, and create a stronger, more united Port Royal. Their bond, tested and strengthened through the harrowing events, remains unbreakable as they face the future together.