𝗔𝗖𝗧 𝗜𝗜𝗜-𝗝𝗔𝗖𝗞 𝗦𝗣𝗔𝗥𝗥𝗢𝗪

"May I have a moment?" James asked Elizabeth, extending his hand for her to take

"May I have a moment?" James asked Elizabeth, extending his hand for her to take. They walked a few meters away from Eve, but she was still able to overhear their conversation. "You look lovely, Elizabeth," James said to her, his nervousness evident. Eve couldn't help but wonder why he was acting like that. Was he planning to propose to her? She tried not to eavesdrop too obviously, questioning herself.

Elizabeth frowned in response, which James mistook as disapproval. However, Eve noticed that Elizabeth was unable to focus due to her tight corset, and she wondered why James didn't seem to notice. "I apologize if I seem forward, but I must speak my mind," James continued, visibly gathering his confidence. Eve furrowed her brow, curious about his intentions.

He went on, saying, "This promotion confirms that I have accomplished the goals I set for myself regarding my career, but it also highlights what I have not achieved—the thing all men most require: a marriage to a fine woman. You've become a fine woman, Elizabeth." Eve's eyes widened in shock. Marriage? Why hadn't she been informed about this beforehand?

"I can't breathe," Elizabeth replied, and before Eve could react, Elizabeth stumbled away from James, losing her balance and falling into the sea. "ELIZABETH!" Eve yelled, rushing to the spot where Elizabeth had been standing. James appeared confused, not understanding why Eve seemed ready to jump into the water. "Miss Swann, you can't just jump in there. The chances of hitting the cliffs are too high," he cautioned.

"I must help Elizabeth. She just fell in," Eve replied, her concern overriding any fear. James gently pulled her down from the ledge, wearing the same worried expression as she did. However, another Navy officer, Gillette, stopped him from taking any further action.

Eve didn't hear what transpired between James and Gillette, as she was already running toward the docks. She noticed an unfamiliar man jumping into the water and felt grateful for his assistance when James and other officers arrived on the scene. Anxiously, she waited for Elizabeth and the unknown man to resurface, nearly considering jumping in herself when it took too long. Finally, the two of them emerged from the water, with Elizabeth only wearing her underskirt and corset. Tears welled up in Eve's eyes when Mullroy mentioned that Elizabeth wasn't breathing. She stumbled back slightly, her hand covering her mouth in shock.

Eve felt a comforting hand on her back and turned to find James locking eyes with her. He noticed her teary gaze and lightly caressed her back with his thumb, trying to provide some solace even though he was just as worried as she was. Meanwhile, the unknown man had cut Elizabeth's corset in half, and Elizabeth remained motionless for a moment before coughing up water and struggling to breathe. Eve closed her eyes in relief for a brief moment.

When she opened her eyes, James's hand was no longer on her back. He now held his ceremonial sword, its bright and sharp blade near the unknown man's throat. Eve understood his hesitation, as a man standing over a half-dressed woman could be misconstrued.

"On your feet," James ordered the man, who complied. Several more officers, accompanied by Weatherby, arrived at the scene, and Weatherby immediately checked on his daughter's well-being. Worried, he took off his jacket and draped it around Elizabeth, who was shivering. Eve stepped forward and pulled her into a tight hug, trying not to dwell on what could have happened if it weren't for the man's intervention.

However, Elizabeth had other plans. Breaking free from the hug, she addressed James. "I'm fine, Commodore. Are you really intending to kill my rescuer?" James looked at her, ready to respond, but Eve spoke up before he could. "I understand how it might appear, Commodore, but Elizabeth is right. This man saved her life, so we should thank him," she asserted.

James stood still for a moment, gazing into Eve's eyes before turning his attention to the man, who nodded while the sword remained beneath his chin. James sheathed his sword and extended his hand. "I believe thanks are in order," he said, and the man gingerly took his hand. James tightened his grip and pulled the man's wrist toward him, revealing a branding on his inner wrist—a large 'P.'

"Seems you've had an encounter with the East India Trading Company... a pirate," James noted. The Governor and the onlookers gasped in shock, but the sailors remained composed, their pistols aimed at the man. He stayed still, holding Elizabeth's corset in his hands.

"Keep your guns on him, men. Gillette, go fetch some irons," James ordered, noticing another tattoo on the pirate's wrist—a small bird in flight over water. "Well, well, Jack Sparrow. Isn't it?" James observed, finally identifying the man. Jack Sparrow promptly responded, "Captain Jack Sparrow, if you please." James glanced out at the bay and remarked, "I don't see your ship... Captain."

"He said he'd come to commandeer one," Murotogg interjected. "These are his, sir," Mullroy added, handing James Jack's belongings that he had entrusted to them before diving into the water to rescue Elizabeth.