Chapter 5 (Gloom)

"We present to you, the dancing queen, Ahn Heeyeon!" The crowd cheered loudly as Heeyeon let out a deep breath, calming her nerves. She looked up to the stairs that lead to the stage, trying to throw out everything that reminds her of him.

But, she can't. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get rid of him. She couldn't get rid of the feelings.

As the clock ticked, the surrounding suddenly fell silent, the stage suddenly disappeared, the night went darker, and it felt like it was only her at the moment. Beads of sweats continued to cover her forehead and hands, showing how much this one performance was going to affect her.

"Hey, Yeon." Jaehwan's voice snapped her back to reality. She turned to look at him, and all she saw was comfort in his eyes.

"Heeyeon, fighting!" She turned to Sunwoo who had his hands in the air, cheering the girl with a smile on his face. Junghwan was there too, as well as Byulyi.

Heeyeon swallowed the lump in her throat. She looked at her friends' faces. These people are the ones who were there for her from the beginning. The ones who never stop giving the support she needed.

"Make him proud, Yeon-ah." Jaehwan said near her ear, almost whispering.

Heeyeon turned to the boy and nodded her head. A weak smile formed on her lips as Jaehwan reached for a hug. "Don't make me cry, please. My makeup will smudge." Heeyeon said between his arms.

"Group hug!" Junghwan suddenly shouted as he squeezed in. Sunwoo joined in short after that while Byulyi narrowed her eyes before deciding to finally complete the group hug.

"Come on, it's your turn. Have fun, Heeyeon-ah." With those words from Sunwoo, Heeyeon stepped up to the stage with cheers from the audience.

The light went fixing on her and so it began: a new chapter of the dancing queen of the college, Ahn Heeyeon.

****

"What an amazing performance from the Ahn Heeyeon." Chanyeol mocked as he turned his head to the audience that was still cheering.

"If only they know that their idol is a murderer." he added after that, making Heeyeon widened her eyes at him, disbelief was all over her face. She looked away after that, cursing herself for bumping into the guy right after her performance ended.

"Why are you so surprised?" Chanyeol chuckled at the reaction. He then glanced to the side where Jaehwan appeared with a slight frown on his forehead.

"Aw, the boyfriend is here." Chanyeol jutted his bottom lip, watching how Jaehwan came and sneaked in his hand around Heeyeon's waist.

Heeyeon who was surprised just stood motionless, didn't know how to react to the touch.

"Hello, Chanyeol." Jaehwan greeted. "I won't bother asking why you're here, but kindly leave now. Our Heeyeon needs to rest after performing such masterpiece just now." He said, his lips formed a forced smile.

Chanyeol scoffed at the guy and replied with the same tone. "Right, Jaehwan. I think I should go now. Don't want to bother the queen of the day." He was about to leave when Heeyeon suddenly asked through gritted teeth.

"Can't you see it, Chanyeol?" Chanyeol narrowed his eyes, clearly showed no interest in what the girl was going to say.

"I'm affected too!" Heeyeon eventually burst into tears. She had enough of crappy and harsh words from the guy. She endured all those nasty remarks thrown at her just because she thought Chanyeol needed someone to blame and she was the best choice, but it's been years and the guy can't seem to stop.

"Affected?" Chanyeol let out a scoff. "You were dancing a few minutes ago and what? You're affected? I clearly don't see that."

"What do you suggest then?" Heeyeon asked, her voice trembling hard.

"Should I cry every day until I have no tears to shed anymore? Should I suffer and let the whole world know? Should I? Huh?"

"Yes! You should suffer just like how Baekhyun suffered that night! You don't deserve to live when Baekhyun had to die for the sake of your worthless life!" Chanyeol screamed at the top of his lungs.

"Enough. Both of you." Jaehwan, the spectator finally voiced out. He stepped forward and pushed Heeyeon to the back, eyeing Chanyeol who was a few centimeters taller than him.

"Listen to what I've got to say because I won't be repeating this." Jaehwan blew his bangs as he started to speak.

"Baekhyun won't like this." Chanyeol's expression changed drastically as Jaehwan continued.

"He won't like the way you're behaving right now. If you can't throw away that guilt inside you, then stop bothering other people, especially Heeyeon. We know it's not her fault. You know it's not her fault."

"You know if anyone is to blame, it's only you for fighting with him that night." Jaehwan didn't wait for the other to reply instead he walked away with Heeyeon in his hand.

"Jae—"

"Don't." Jaehwan cut off before Heeyeon could say anything.

Heeyeon rolled her eyes. She stopped in track and snatched her hand. Jaehwan turned to her with a frown. "What is it, now?" he asked, annoyed.

"Why are you lashing out at me?" Heeyeon asked back, unsatisfied with the reply she got from the boy.

"Lashing ou—what the—look Heeyeon, I don't think I can talk to you right now. We should just—" Jaehwan messed up his hair in frustration. "Go home, Heeyeon. I'll call the cab and tell the others." he took out his phone and turned around.

"Are you mad at me? Are you blaming me too?" Heeyeon's lips quivered as her eyes watered.

For the nth time, Jaehwan let out a sigh. He looked up to the sky for a while before approaching the girl and pulling her into a hug. As if it was a cue, tears slid down Heeyeon's eyes. Her cheeks which were stained with dry tears became wet again in no time.

"Shh..." Jaehwan hushed as he stroked the girl's back.

"I'm sorry, okay? I was just overwhelmed. No one's blaming you, Heeyeon. Baekhyun did it with his own will. The only fault of us is realising it too late." Jaehwan's voice was silent and it made Heeyeon wondered if they shared the same feeling right now. Guilt.

"That's enough for the day, I guess." Jaehwan broke the hug.

"Shall we go back? Byulyi and the others must be waiting for us."

________

sorry for the long wait +++ idk why this story suddenly turns serious but hope you guys will bear with me :)))

-jae