Chapter 8 (The New Lecturer)

"Hey, Dongjun. Do you know anything about the new lecturer?" Jaehwan asked when he was at the student council's meeting room that evening. He was just done with his small tour of the room (because it's his first time being there) when Dongjun, who's also a part of the council came in.

"Oh, the new lecturer? I don't know much, but they said he came from the countryside and he just finished his postgraduate study." Dongjun answered without looking at Jaehwan. Since he walked into the room and sat down on one of the chairs, he was busy flipping and skimming through what seemed to be a thick proposal.

"They?" Jaehwan tilted his head, confused.

"The admins," Dongjun replied shortly after that.

"You're close with the admins?" Jaehwan asked again, his left eyebrow went up.

"Of course, I have to be close to them. We're working with them." Dongjun shuffled on the seat, trying to not roll his eyes.

"You mean you, not we," Jaehwan emphasised.

"Yeah, about that." Dongjun finally turned to the other. "I've been meaning to ask you but I've been too busy to meet you, let alone find your numbers and call or text you. So, since you're here, I'm going to ask, how did you get to be one of the councils?" He asked.

Jaehwan looked at him with pursed lips and shrugged. "Believe me, Dongjun. I've been asking myself the same question for almost a week now."

****

Sunwoo and Seokjin were walking together to the class as Sunwoo kept talking about his idea for a new choreography while Seokjin quietly listened to him.

When they reached the class, they realised that the other three were already there. Only one of them was missing and it was Byulyi.

Sunwoo mentally sighed. He hoped nothing bad happened to the girl.

They both then took their places which were behind the other three. As they settled themselves, Seokjin unexpectedly asked.

"Where's Byul?" Jaehwan turned to his back, as well as Heeyeon and Junghwan.

"We don't know. We were about to ask you guys, but I guess we're on the same page." Jaehwan said.

"Is something wrong with her? Is she going through something?" Junghwan was the one who questioned. His face showed how worried he was.

"No idea." Sunwoo blatantly lied, causing Seokjin to throw a quick glance at him.

Why is he not telling them the truth? Seokjin knew it would be awkward between them once Byulyi's feelings towards Jaehwan were revealed, but he thought that it was unnecessary for Sunwoo to deny the fact that he knew something was going on with the girl. The others deserved to know if one of them was having a problem.

The quiet boy decided to brush it off at the moment and began to take out his notebook from his backpack when the lecturer of their first subject of the day walked in.

Gasps could be heard filling the classroom as a tall and lean guy stepped in. He was undeniably handsome, his hair was pitch black, and his sharp features somehow complemented his round-shaped face.

"Is that the new lecturer they've been talking about?" Heeyeon whispered to her side where Jaehwan was sitting. The guy only nodded as an answer.

"Good afternoon, dearest students. My name is Hwang Daehyun and I'm your new Calculus lecturer. I hope we will get along and let's start our first session, shall we?" Squeals and groans could be heard simultaneously as the new lecturer introduced himself.

Daehyun only smiled to himself before turning towards the board and started writing the topic down as the class began.

****

I can't believe we can still gather like this. Sunwoo thought as he watched his friends who were laughing together after Junghwan cracked a joke just now.

He really thought that their last meeting, when Byulyi took off without words, would be the last time they would be able to sit together at lunch. However, seeing the girl who seemed unbothered and the others who looked like they had forgotten what happened somehow made him relieved.

At least nothing bad happened. He smiled to himself.

"What's on your mind, Yeon?" Junghwan's question snapped him out of his reverie and he turned to the girl to see her troubled expression.

"I'm thinking," Heeyeon paused before looking at each of them as she questioned. "Doesn't the new lecturer seem familiar to you guys?"

"Hwang Daehyun?" Sunwoo who was stuffing his face with a chocolate cupcake said.

"Yes, him. What do you guys think about him?" Heeyeon asked again.

"He's annoying. I don't like his smirk every time the girls are all over him. He knows he's hot and that annoys me." Jaehwan narrowed his eyes and hitched under his breath before shoving a spoonful of fried rice into his mouth.

The table fell silent. For a while, only faint chatters of other students were heard.

"Baekhyun." Seokjin suddenly said, making everyone turn to him.

"Why are you suddenly mentioning him, Jin-ah?" Sunwoo asked after realising that no one's going to do so. The table suddenly felt stuffy as some of them shifted uncomfortably in their seats when the unwanted topic was brought up.

"The lecturer. He reminds me of Baekhyun." Seokjin simply answered. He was looking down, hands both in the pockets of his jacket. No one knew what he was thinking at the moment.

"If I remember correctly, Baekhyun did have a brother, right? Is it possible?" Jaehwan asked no one in particular.

"But the family names don't match." Heeyeon retorted. "If the new lecturer is indeed Baekhyun's brother, then his name should start with Byun."

"He could be a step sibling, or worse, forging his identity." Sunwoo suddenly speculated.

"And why would he do that? Why can't he just show up using his real name?" Byulyi voiced out. Although she didn't get to see what the new lecturer looked like because she skipped the morning class, she thought she could join the discussion too.

"What if he's trying to take revenge?" Sunwoo replied, getting excited for no reason.

"Revenge? For what?" Byulyi almost scoffed at the boy's words.

"Baekhyun's death." Once again, Seokjin quieted everyone at the table.

"Ookayyy, it's too early in the morning—" Junghwan who sensed the tension that was gradually forming immediately stood up.

"It's lunchtime." Sunwoo interrupted.

"Yeah, whatever." Junghwan shot a quick glare at Sunwoo before continuing. "Anyway, it's too early for us to discuss this conspiracy or theory or whatever. We better get back to class."

Listening to Junghwan's words, all of them made their way to the lecture hall as some of them completely ignored the topic of the discussion just now, while some of them had their minds stuck on it.

****

heyyy how are you guys doing?? i know ive kinda been neglecting this story and im so sorry, im in the middle of writers block TT

anyway i hope you enjoy this chapter and thank you for sticking with this story although the updates are inconsistent af

have a nice day yall!

-jae