#O4: Stairwell

Jaemin didn't have many friends

Jaemin didn't have many friends. He didn't have a lot of hobbies either.

It meant that his life was more revolved around his one best friend than he would like. Although he was a biology major and the natural sciences building was at the far end of campus, he'd be willing to go all the way to the social sciences building just to wait for Donghyuck. He never knew his familiarity with the location of Donghyuck's classes would come in handy as it would today.

He leaned against the wall outside the hall, hearing the muffled voice of the economics lecturer going on about something he couldn't comprehend. He scrolled through his phone as he waited while ignoring the looks he got from passerbys. Whether he was stared at because he was standing outside an occupied lecture hall or because he was Na Jaemin, he couldn't be sure and he didn't care.

When the lecture finally ended and students came swarming out, Jaemin easily caught Donghyuck's arm without even glancing away from his phone.

"You didn't tell me you were waiting for me," Donghyuck grinned.

"Not really waiting for you," Jaemin said, tucking his phone away into his pocket. "Where's Jo Nami?"

"Jo Nami?" Donghyuck turned his head around and scanned the students walking past them, until he spotted the pretty girl talking to her friends.

Jaemin couldn't help but smile when he saw her.

"Nami, babe, you got a minute?"

Nami looked at Donghyuck with confusion, then she saw who was standing beside him and her face eased. She said her cheerful goodbyes to her friends and jogged up to the boys, looking at Jaemin more than she was looking at Donghyuck.

"Remember when I said I had a present for you too at my birthday party? Here," Donghyuck said to Nami as he patted Jaemin's chest. "This was your present. I just didn't know you two found each other by yourselves."

"I like this present," Nami said sweetly, not breaking her eye contact with Jaemin.

"So, what's going on with you two? Friends? Please tell me you're friends. You two are the last people that should be canoodling with each other."

If only Donghyuck knew.

While Nami laughed, Jaemin rolled his eyes and tossed his car keys at Donghyuck.

"I want to talk to her alone for a bit. Wait in the car."

Donghyuck sucked in his cheek as he began walking backwards, waggling his finger at them as if warning them to behave themselves. Once the official thirdwheeler had gone and the hallway was quiet, Jaemin could feel the rush of his heartbeat as he took a proper look at Nami.

It was a normal Wednesday and she was dressed simply in a pastel oversized sweater and ripped jeans, her rosy makeup bringing out the best of her delicate facial features. She had the looks of a goddess, Jaemin knew this, but it was the way she carried herself with such strength and poise that had him drawn to her.

"Let's talk in the stairwell. Just in case we need privacy." Jaemin lightly teased and Nami giggled as she obeyed.

The stairwell was empty, only used during fire drills since most students were too burnt out from studying to use anything except the elevators. It was quiet, dimly lit and the two could focus on each other and each other entirely.

"Hi. You have my number now, why not just text me?"

"I'd rather see you in person when I ask you out to dinner," Jaemin said in a low tone.

Nami tilted her head to the side, as if trying to figure out Jaemin's intentions.
"Dinner...and then what?"

"And then, we can do whatever you want to do," Jaemin took an alarmingly close step towards her, but she didn't budge. In fact, she did the same, leaving barely any space left between them.

They were completely alone and would be alone for a long time, so there really wasn't anything to stop them from doing anything inappropriate. They would probably get away with doing the most risky things right now and the idea of it sounded delicious to Jaemin. But he held back, knowing it would be best if the tension was prolonged for as long as possible. He chuckled and took a safe step backwards.

"Didn't you say I should tell you when I want to have dinner with you?" Nami reminded him. Rather than in a hostile way, it was more in a teasing manner.

  "You definitely did," Jaemin agreed. "I guess I was just looking for an excuse to see you."

"That's sweet," Nami said with a smile. "Then I guess you've earned yourself a dinner with me. Saturday night?"

"Saturday night sounds perfect. Send me your address and I'll pick you up."

"Aren't you going to ask me for my first date preferences?"

Jaemin raised an eyebrow. "If I do that, then we won't have the fun element of surprise, princess. Relax. I've got everything planned."

Nami bit back an impressed gasp. Now that was a man after her heart.

"I'll see you Saturday night, then," Jaemin said, sealing the date.

"Can't wait." Nami winked at him before turning around and reaching the door. But she didn't turn the knob just yet, turning back to face Jaemin and standing on the tips of her toes to whisper into Jaemin's ear.

"I like it when a guy sees me after class. If you keep playing your cards right, I'll do whatever you want after our date."

As she got back down on her feet, she made sure to very slightly brush her lips against his jaw and walked off without another word. Jaemin was astonished, watching her leave as he gently touched the now lingering warmth on his jawline.

He was the one who proposed this game—he thought he'd be the master. Even the most confident and shameless of girls would fall to their knees, flustered and bothered by him. But with Jo Nami, it looked like she was going to be a pretty difficult challenge.

And he loved every single moment of it.

another random update bc i lov u

do we love the characters tho