#14: Hope

TW: Statutory rape

TW: Statutory rape

 "When I woke up, the only thing I hoped for was that he was dead," Nami confessed with a weak smile

"He's not?" Jaemin asked simply, yet only he knew just how much he wished he could end Seungho's life with his bare hands.

"He's in a coma. Has been the past three years. It's why you've seen me at the hospital a couple of times," Nami explained. "I visit him once a month. Sometimes more when I want to embrace feeling like shit. My parents don't know about the abuse, they just think I should visit him once in a while as courtesy as his former fiancée since his parents blamed me for the accident. I blame myself, too, and I never want to drive again. Even thinking about driving gives me anxiety, which was why I collapsed the other night because I was reminded of the accident."

"You know the accident wasn't your fault," Jaemin gently assured her. Deep down, a tiny twinge of guilt pinched him for being the one to trigger it that night.

"Isn't it? My parents told me to stay away because he was much older when we started dating but I told them I'd be fine, I knew what I was doing," Nami blinked, refusing to let any tears spill. "I was wrong. And some part of me is too embarrassed to tell them about what he did to me."

Jaemin swallowed the bitter lump in his throat. His chest tightened when he heard much older, like it was a target that hit too close to the bullseye. Especially with the recent information he received regarding his sister-in-law, he was a cracked dam waiting to burst.

"You don't mess with guys on purpose, huh?" Jaemin concluded as his voice trembled.

"I wish I whored around for fun but nope, I just had to have this ridiculous sob story as an excuse. I go through guys like my life is a damn dating app because in each guy I meet, I hope I'd find the love he said I wouldn't have for anyone else. I want to shove it in his face and tell him I'm safe with someone that isn't him. Do you do it on purpose? Sleep around with girls for the hell of it or do you have some tragic backstory like I do?"

Jaemin shook his head. "If I'm going to tell you my story, I need you to be completely honest. I hate liars. I hate fakers. I don't want you faking smiles when all you want to do is cry."