#13: Crash

TW: Domestic violence, car accident

The hallways were flooded with whispers and odd looks when they saw Nami for the first time in a month

It was a disadvantage of being in a small school. Everybody knew everybody, everybody talked shit about everybody. Rumors were as easy to spread as an infectious disease. Despite only being absent for a month, rumors of Nami being postnatal were not squashed so easily. Some were even brave enough to attempt checking any giveaway scars or stretch marks which sprouted a small regret in Nami for choosing to wear a crop top.

The reason that she had given her concerned classmates was a "private health issue" which wasn't too far off from the truth. Her lecturers knew that she had to take time off from being physically present in school due to the severe decline of her mental health. No lecturer dared to leak the confidential piece of information as none dared to mess with Nami's influential family.

Only her roommates knew what caused her disappearance, partly because they helped in caring for her as well and had no interest in sharing it with random nobodies.

Once back on campus, Nami shed off a vibrant light as if she never faded. She was as sweet and charming as usual, barely paying attention to the boys who were desperate for a boost in social status. The only boy on her mind was in a faculty across campus and her heart ached remembering their encounter from the other day.

"Hyuck," she tapped Donghyuck's shoulder as the lecturer stepped out to take a phone call. "I need to see Jaemin."

Donghyuck smiled sadly. "Sorry, babe. Jaemin's not here today. In fact, he hasn't left his apartment the whole weekend—I had to bring him food and force him to eat."

Nami bit her bottom lip, guilt pooling in her chest. Could it have been because of her? That didn't seem possible. He was hurt but definitely not to that extent.

Missed calls and unread texts led Nami to make a very dangerous decision. For any other girl, it would be a suicide mission. She found herself staring at Jaemin's front door, knowing fully well that the golden rule was that you do not show up at his doorstep uninvited. Yet Nami couldn't help herself. She needed to clear the air between them and she had to admit it was also because some large piece of heart yearned for him.