CHAPTER 17

"How to drag myself out of my worst nightmares?"

A month after we started our 7th grade classes, our school announced that they were planning to prepare for a renovation. The NYC school property was scheduled to be combined with Bartolomeo Pinnell Lewis Academy. The reason for the consolidation was to reduce costs and offer an expanded curriculum. Starting next year, we'll check every BPLA location to decide whether we want to transfer to that branch or not. We will be fully evacuated before our senior high.

I'm not sure if saan ako magpapa transfer but Maria wants me to join her sa BPLA PH. Kailangan ko lang ng approval from my parents. Wala na rin naman akong problema kung mapapalayo sa house dahil fully healed na yung leg injury ko.

Sa katunayan, for the past 10 minutes, I've been watching myself dance and walk back and forth in front of a huge mirror inside my room. After our last week of therapy sessions, I was finally able to walk without the aid of crutches. Most of the time, I'm still having nightmares and sudden panic attacks but it's not that scary anymore because I'm not alone now. A big thanks to my supportive parents, therapists and to Maria. They didn't stop helping me physically, mentally and emotionally.

---

This afternoon, Mari showed up at our house unexpectedly. I concluded that she played a game first because she's still wearing her volleyball jersey uniform and also carrying her favorite sports bag.

"Why did you come here without informing me first?", I asked her in a toneless voice while blocking the entry way.

She pouted and said, "You're so mean, bruh! You don't want to invite me in? Can't I stay here for at least two hours? Please?"

Maria gave me her puppy eyes and sad face. I sensed that she had a problem but didn't know how to say it.

"Alright, Maria. You can stay. Enough with that ugly sad face! But first, take a shower! You stink!"

She gave me a smug smile and dared to give me a bear hug. I purposely ran to the nearest bathroom and quickly grabbed the detachable shower head. I waited for her to come inside before turning on the shower. When the cold water hit her face, I gave her a smirk.

"So, Maria, mind telling me the real reason why you're here?"

She sighed as she wiped her face. She was about to say something but her stomach growled. She covered her reddened face and laughed then mumbled, "Sorry, bruh. I'm famished because of my game earlier."

"When was the last time you ate? I can't offer you a meal kasi mamaya pa ulit dadating yung house chef namin. I don't know how to cook but I could offer you some snacks and maybe a lemonade juice.", I told her.

"I had breakfast naman bago mag play kanina ng volleyball with some friends. Then I thought I could visit you here."

"Mag shower ka na muna. May extra clothes ako dyan sa cabinet if you want. Wait na lang kita sa kitchen."

"My bruh is too nice today! Thank you! I'll be done in a jiffy!"

---

"You know, bruh, I'm excited to play with other volleyball players in the Philippines. I already played with all of the best players in New York. There's no challenge left for me here anymore.", she said boastfully and laughed.

"But, of course, I'll be sad if we'll be separated on our senior high days. Nasanay na din kasi ako na kasama ka kahit palagi kang masungit sa akin. Please come with me, bruh.", she continued.

"I'm not sure sa kung saan ako magpapa transfer kasi hindi ko pa nakakausap ulit sina Daddy. May plan na kasi dati na sumali ako sa mga ballet competitions once fully healed na yung injuries ko. And nung last parents-teachers meeting, parang wala sa choices nila yung Philippines."

"Oh, okay.", she sadly said.

"How's your game pala kanina?", pag change topic ko na lang.

"Gosh! The best yung team mates ko and also yung other team na kalaban namin. At parang nakita ko na din yung love of my life. Nililigawan na niya ako.", she said with her eyes twinkling like Erica every time she's talking about her crush.

"Love of your life?"

"Yes, the coffee to my jelly... the blue to my berry... in my heart I want to bury.", she said in a singsongy pattern.

"Really? Bilis manligaw! Who is he? Volleyball player din ba? And love? What is the difference between love and crush?"

"Mas intense syempre yung love! Yes, volleyball player din. Nanligaw agad kasi baka maunahan pa daw ng iba. Oops... I forgot to tell you. He's a she. Will you hate me now?"

"Why would I hate you? You could like or love who you want. Basta huwag ka lang iiyak like nung nakita nating couple sa school kapag nag away kayo nyan."

"Wow concern si bruh! If ever saktan ba niya ako, ipagtatanggol mo ako?"

"Guard mo ba ako para ipagtanggol ka? Ayoko lang na umiyak ka kasi ma di disturb mo lang ako sa studies ko. Kung mag e-emote ka tuwing may tampuhan kayo, kalimutan mo na lang na magkakilala tayo.", I jokingly said.

I will be mad at her for sure if she becomes a distraction but I'll still take revenge on whoever hurt her.

---

I woke up drenched in sweat again. I could still feel my body shaking, erratic breathing and racing heart. My head hurts too much!

"Your nightmares are getting worse! What is it this time?", she asked as she handed me a glass of water.

As I drank some water, Maria gently massaged my temples, scalp, neck and shoulders to relieve muscle tension.

"I saw splashing images of unknown people again. And that little version of me is always crying. All I can feel is pain whenever I see them."

"Did you tell your parents about these nightmares?"

"Yes. But they can't answer my questions. They just requested my doctor to prescribe a more effective medicine to help me sleep."

"Are you not curious about your accident? Sabi mo, never nila nabanggit yung about dun and lalo na yung lost memories mo."

"Curious din ako kaya nga nag search din ako about sa nangyari pero wala akong makitang details kahit sa family ko. Kahit nagka amnesia ako, familiar sila sa akin but there's still a strange feeling I can't describe. I tried to ask them pero mas makakabuti daw sa akin na kalimutan ko na lang yung about sa accident. They never gave me a specific reason for that."

"Don't worry. I'll ask my parents if may kakilala sila na private investigator. We'll help you find out what really happened that day."