Ranks (Dustin Brooks x reader)

Please check bio to see if requests are open before sending any in!

Request: pezzbosch We like semi-sad fics here, so obviously Dustin trying to cheer his crush up when he notices something is wrong :)

Prompt/summary: Dustin notices his sparring partner is very upset

Word Count: 1,172

Authors note: I deviated slightly mostly because I'd been talking about writing this imagine idea for a while, I hope you don't mind :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I couldn't stand him.

The cocky headstrong Earth ninja somehow always got paired up with me for our sparring test.

No one understood why I hated him, but after years of studying and training as hard as I could, somehow I was always under his shadow. And for what? Because he was funny? Because he could light up a room? Because he was handsome and-

I'm stopping myself there.

Today is the day I waited for all term. Class ranks. If I made it into the top five then I could become a student teacher and start teaching the younger classes with Sensei. The listings would be posted after lunch so when I finished eating I rushed to the dojo to read off the list.

Earth Ninjas:

I scanned down the list searching for my name only to feel my heart drop.

5. Dustin Brooks

6. (Y/n) (Y/l/n)

I held back tears as I stomped down the path and to the gate of the academy. Maybe it was best I skipped training today, it wouldn't affect anything anyways.

The gates opened allowing the late students entrance and I managed to slip out unnoticed.

At least unnoticed to most, the last person I wanted to see today somehow saw me leaving.

"(Y/n)? Where are you going? Class is about to start."

I tightened my grip on my bag and quickened my pace.

"(Y/n)" Dustin yelled, running to catch up to me on the trail, "Yo we gotta head back. Sensei's gonna be pissed if we miss our sparring test."

I didn't say anything.

"Come on I can't do my test if my partners not there-"

I spun on my heel coming face to face with him, "Can you just leave me alone?"

Dustin stared at me wide eyed. I wiped the tears from my face as I turned back down the path.

"Wait, what are you upset about?" He called after me.

I sighed, "Nothing you should concern yourself with."

Dustin jogged in front of me stopping me in my tracks, "You're totally upset about something. You never miss class, ever."

"Yeah but somehow I still scored lower than you," I snapped. I winced at my tone.

"What are you talking about?"

I rolled my eyes, "Class ranks."

"Dude," Dustin laughed, "I didn't even know people paid attention to those."

"Well some do," I snapped, how could he be laughing at this? "If I had stayed in the top five I would've had the chance to become a student teacher. Maybe even get the opportunity to teach at the academy after I graduated, but somehow you passed me and got a higher score. Now definitely won't get to."