09

***

Cutting everyone off was the only way she seemed to actually be coping with it. She announced a break from social media only days after it all happened, found herself spending a week back at home, and nothing was the same. She could hardly handle being in the house at all, her mothers smile didn't seem to sparkle the way she remembered. They didn't ever see eye to eye but her dad was the one thing holding them all together.

Meredith was the only person she had spoken to, and she was trying her best to be the girl she was a few weeks ago but nothing seemed to be the same at all, like her idea of reality altered after she found out he was gone. Three weeks had gone by quicker then she expected when she completely blanked off of social media, and now she was back in California, waiting for meredith to tell her everything that she missed.

"Hey Delrose, you don't have to go if you don't want to," meredith mumbled as she passed Lani her coffee. "Thanks Mer, and I do wanna go I shut myself out from the world for like three weeks, i miss being social, i did too much moping and i know he wants me to party, so that's my goal for VidCon," for the first time in what felt like forever Lani felt excited to be back in the idea of a social situation. "Well Delrose if you're so up for it, let me catch you up on what you missed while you were back at home," Meredith sat up straight, crossing one leg over the other.

"Your new gamer friends have been non stop texting me, i don't even know how they found me," lanis eyes widened. "This ones a bit much but, Sarah is dating Angelo," meredith scratched her head awkwardly as she looked at lani as her whole face dropped. "Like my ex Angelo?" Lani mumbled, looking up at mer as mer silently nodded. "I'm sorry Lani," lani felt such a strong sting of pain in her chest but just looked up at meredith, "anything else?" she asked following with a deep breathe. "Those gamer dudes miss you, you should give em a call maybe they can make you feel better," meredith winked at her before getting up and walking out of lanis apartments.

She looked around to see a large bin she hadn't noticed in her apartment before, she got ip to investigate it more and as she got closer she saw a bunch of small gifts and large amount of cards. The box also had a label on it, 'Gifts from Friends-Meredith' Lani read aloud as she looked ay the box with a confused face but as she approached the bin she realized it was a bunch of cards sending their condolences. She brushed the bin off and went into her room, she went onto her PC first and booted it up, after it went on she opened discord to see messages from people she hadn't spoken to in weeks.

The first one she opened was george, he said he sent a card, extra large card to be exact as a way to send his condolences and that he hoped to still meet her at vidcon, but as she continued to scroll she would see on certain nights he would send more text then others, asking her to answer if she was okay, and even said he wouldn't tell anybody if she just answered him. It left a sad feeling in her chest, but she also knew the break was needed. Another thought that pondered in the back of Lanis mind was the idea of her back stabbing best friend dating her first love, it mixed her sadness with anger and left lani feeling as empty as she had the past week.

She looked back up at her discord and saw George start typing in the chat she happened to be sitting in.

***

georgie😵‍💫
Land! youre active again.
sorry if this is weird but i
really miss you, and like talking
to you. my viewers miss you
as well

Land
georgieeeee, hi sorry for the lack
of responding. i dropped social media
for a few weeks to deal with some
family problems back at home and
if i had known you weren't gonna tell
anyone if i answered you, i would've called
but my family needed me, and i needed them
i missed talking to you, and i miss being in
your streams:(

georgie😵‍💫
no need to apologize i cant imagine
what it was like, and honestly good for
you. social media breaks are always needed.

i wasn't expecting you to answer, just some
nights i would have random thoughts and
wanted to tell you.

Land
did someone miss me😢

georgie😵‍💫
yeah yeah super funny land
come be in a stream if you ever
feel up to it. but i leave for the US
in a few days.

Land
Is it gonna weird if we meet?

georgie😵‍💫
depends.

***

She had a small smile on her face as she texted him, it was always back and forth and that was one thing she missed, consistent conversations. But after her last text he didn't answer, but her discord ringtone was slightly heard through her headphones, she quickly slid them on and answered the video chat. She waved with a smile, and took in the scene she was viewing. George's hair had grown out quite a bit and curled slightly, he was smiling at the camera as Lanis waving came to an end. "Sorry land got tired of typing, but it matters are you taller then 5'8?" he cocked a brow at the camera. Lani begun laughing as she felt the weight and stress fall from her shoulders as she relaxed on the call. "Well actually i'm a lot shorter then i look," she shrugged as george made a curious face.

"Guess how tall i am," lani suggested, george nodded and began to rub his chin as if he had a beard growing in. "Like 5'6?" he guessed, lani began shaking her head no, george's eyes widened. "I'm 5'1," she said with a straight face as george slapped his hand over his mouth, "you're short as shit," he pointed at the camera laughing as Lani flipped him
off. "But to answer your question now, no it won't be awkward because you're shorter then me," he began to chuckle slightly as lani rolled her eyes. "So for VidCon, i have a stage set the first day, and i wanna steal you for the second day, take you to the core of gaming," george blurted out, "so you wanna hang out?" lani asked.

George's face seemed to flush as he nodded. "I mean if you want, i know they'res parties every night, but it will be for the morning," george mumbled. Lani sat up straight as she began thinking, "ok let's make a deal, i'll go with you in the afternoon and you accompany me to the parties?" lani suggested, she watched as george's eyes widened, "yeah okay deal, i can party," george looked at lani confused in a way, how was this girl who was so sad acting completely okay and just looked forward, the raw strength alone was something he aspired for.

"Well you're doing great, and i'll check in with you later okay? Feel better," george smiled, lani smiled and nodded, almost feeling the warm tint light up her caramel skin. The call ended and lani let out a small sigh as she looked back at her unopened discord messages.

***

author note:
vidcon starts next chapter
and so does the drama

see you in the next update!