Chapter 31: tension

Dream POV.

“Have you made up your mind yet?”
I looked down to where George was resting with his head on my lap to see him looking up at me. “Have I made up my mind about what?” I asked, helping the human sit up.
“My dad… what are you going to do to him?”
I smiled at George, “I decided that your father could stay. But if authorities come searching this house for him we have to act as though we never knew him or it will be bad for all of us.”
The brunette nodded, “seems fair.”

I nuzzled into the brunette’s neck and then he said he was going to take a shower. He left the room and I stood up, my phone hadn’t gone off all night which means Mr Davidson was still in his room. I made my way upstairs before knocking on the door of his bedroom.

After a moment he opened it, his hair damp and in some clean clothes, he’d also shaved his face and cut his hair and now I could see that he and George looked very much alike. “Good morning Mr Davidson. I was wondering if you wanted to come downstairs to have breakfast with George and me.” I stated.
He gritted his teeth, “what are we going to be eating pet food or something?” he asked sarcastically.

I know that humans hate demons, especially just after we catch them, but this man's stubbornness astounded me. Just more proof that he was like his son.
“I assure you that you can eat whatever you want. I would never force George to eat anything, especially pet food, and since you are his father the same would apply to you.” I didn’t want him to be pissed at me, cause then George would be pissed at me.
“Okay then, I will be downstairs soon.”

I turned to leave, being thankful that that brief interaction was over. When I got back to the bedroom George had gotten out of the shower and was sitting on the bed in a new pair of clothes as he dried his hair with a towel.
“Where have you been?” he asked, looking up at me when I shut the bedroom door.
“Went to talk to your dad, wanted to see if he wanted to have breakfast with us.” I explained as I sat down.

“How was he?” the brunette asked as he stood up to put his towel back in the bathroom.
“He is fine… still seems to hate me though…” I replied sheepishly.
“I am glad he’s back. I have missed him… it has been 3 years since I last saw him.”
I hummed as I stood up and picked George up too, “you can spend time with him today.” I told the human. “I have to do some work and so the two of you can get reacquainted. As long as you two don’t go outside since we don't want any demons spotting your father.”

George smiled, “I like that idea… thank you, Dream.”
“You're welcome.” I smiled as I nuzzled against his neck which caused him to blush, but he craned his neck to the side and allowed me to continue.
I took him down to the dining room, continuing to nuzzle into him as I walked. Unfortunately for us, or more accurately me, Mr Davidson was waiting there, and he immediately glared at me when he saw what I was doing.

“Put my son down! You’re hurting him!” he began yelling, and after sending him an annoyed glare I put George down and Mr Davidson immediately moved over to stand between us. He looked over at George, “are you okay?” he asked, “did he hurt you?”
George shook his head, “I’m fine Dad. He wasn’t hurting me.”
“But why was he carrying you?” he seemed confused, looking from me to George several times.
“Because he cares for me.” George explained.
“And why was he nuzzling into your neck?”

“For the same reason,” I answered, “you seem like a good protective father Mr Davidson but you can put your guard down, I won’t hurt you or your son.”
Mr Davidson seemed unsure but nodded as I moved over to George again. “Want me to make you guys something for breakfast?” it was more directed at my human but I figured it would be rude to not offer his father breakfast, and that George would be mad if I didn’t.

George nodded and asked for some toast but Mr Davidson stayed watching me suspiciously, “I can make myself something…”
“Okay then, I’ll show you the kitchen.” I led him through a door to the kitchen, then showed him where the food was stored. His eyes briefly flicked over to a knife rack, and I thought he was going to make a lunge and try to stab me but he didn’t.

The 2 of us both made some food before I returned to the dining room and gave George his plate of food and a hot drink, before sitting beside him and eating my own food. A few minutes later Mr Davidson came into the room, and I could tell that he had grabbed a knife, either to defend himself or attempt to kill me. I didn’t mind if it was the first of the two, after all he was being hunted by the entire country, and if it was the second option he couldn’t possibly think that he could kill me.

George noticed that his father had a knife too, but we both decided not to mention it. We ate in near silence and the tension in the room was clear. I didn’t want Mr Davidson to hate me, but it was clear that he was never going to trust me.
“I’m going to be working all day today if you want to bond with your son.” I informed Mr Davidson, “but don’t go outside, or another demon could spot you.”

Mr Davidson nodded, not looking up at me. “That is… nice of you to allow me to spend time with my son.”
“Of course. You two aren’t prisoners.” I replied, and I felt George nodding in agreement with what I said.
“Well can we leave here?” he asked, raising an eyebrow in question.
I shook my head, and he continued, “then we are prisoners.”
“Prisoners get no rights, no say in their lives but that’s not what I offer. I let your son eat as much as he wants, sleep as much as he wants, and do pretty much anything he wants… the same will apply to you too.”
“Obviously.” Mr Davidson says sarcastically.

I let out a huff and stood up, leaving my empty plate and cup there, “believe what you want then, I will be in my office.” I looked over to my human and gave him a warm smile, “hope you enjoy spending the day with your father…”
_________________________________________
1158 words.