15. A Heart to Heart (Part I)

"Stop that!" Geneva demanded in mild annoyance. 

        "It's their time," Dot replied with a fiendish grin. 

        On the street, in the middle of a beautiful Saturday, a young couple walked hand in hand. There was a dog playing tug 'o war with a little girl in the park by the rows of nearly blooming lilacs. Further down the path was a beautiful brunette jogging toward the couple.

        "Ah, the catalyst!" Dot exclaimed as she rubbed her hands together and nocked an gray arrow in her enormous bow. It was as tall as she was and required a lot of strength to draw. Dot was clearly a very strong petite woman.

        "What are you doing? Why are you breaking them up on such a nice day?" Geneva asked.

        "It doesn't rain nearly enough for all the Heartbreak I have in my quiver," Dot replied smoothly as she aimed the point of her arrow at the young couple.

        "But, to break her heart like this, it seems so cruel and impersonal," Geneva continued. She knew there was no way to stop Dot from completing her task. It was the second Heartbreak that she'd performed in the park in the last two hours they'd been together.

        "That's kinda the point, chica. Besides, I'm not breaking her heart. I'm breaking his," Dot said with a wide impish grin that earned Love it's volatile nature. "His girlfriend's in the Closet. I'm helping her peek out is all," she added and let the arrow fly.

        It whizzed through the air like a bird whistle. The girlfriend, a delicate redhead kept her eyes on the attractive brunette who was running toward her. The redhead slowed down and fell out of step with her boyfriend as her head turned to watch the brunette jog past. The boyfriend stopped but their hands pulled away. The arrow pierced him first, then her. Both straight through the chest. Dot was one hell of a shot.

        And just like that, Geneva watched as the slender redhead took her handsome boyfriend aside and broke the news to him. Just like that. A budding relationship ended on the whim of fickle Love.

        "Don't be like that. They had fun. She's just not into guys. They'll both be happier down the line," Dot said as she reached out to stroke Geneva's back.

        "I'm not like you, Dot. I get no satisfaction from seeing things come to an end," Geneva said and slumped over her knees. 

        "Heartbreak is a part of Love, Gen. It's a part of life. Everyone's felt it at least once. If they haven't, they will," Dot said, a tiny grin playing on her lips and a flash of promise in her chocolate eyes.

        There was a plate of Baklava between Geneva's running shoes. The source of her recent weight gain. Geneva didn't pick it up. It was the same one from this morning, it was following her, begging to be eaten. Her mouth watered and Geneva closed her eyes, pushed herself up to standing. 

        "I really like him, Dot," Geneva told her friend. "I think I might even..."

        "Don't be silly. You know you're not supposed to fall in love. You...can't," Dot said with a growing frown. She picked up the Baklava from under the bench and took a healthy bite from it. Knowing full well it would be delicious because Mother made it.

        "I know! But I can't shake this feeling. When I close my eyes around him, I feel vertigo. When I kiss him, I lose my balance. I'm falling. Can you..." Geneva can't even ask it. 

        The Cupid invited her friend out for an afternoon jog together in the hopes of getting her mind straight. She couldn't talk to Lizzy because the blonde had other problems to worry about. Lizzy also didn't know, and shouldn't know, anything about this battle between Love and Death over a soul. Her soul.

        Aside from just chatting about problems, Geneva wanted a solution. There was only one remedy for a wrongful love. There was only one way for this to end. 

        "I can't do what you're asking because you don't know what you're asking. If you knew. If you KNEW then you'd know I can't..." Dot said, standing and nocking her arrow. She didn't even wait for the perfect shot. She released the steely arrow through the ribs of a man sitting alone on a park bench across from them chatting on his cellphone.

        "I know exactly what I'm asking," Geneva exclaimed as she smoothed her hair back into the voluminous puff at her crown.

        If Dot didn't break Geneva's heart, she wouldn't be able to keep her head around Death. Taking care of Lizzy alone has made her forgetful of other things. Aphrodite was, in the nicest way possible, breathing down her neck about quotas. She couldn't worry about falling for the man she was trying to distract on top of everything else. Things were not going well.

        "I need you to break my heart," Geneva said in a whisper. 

        She'd had her heart broken before. Geneva couldn't quite remember it but she had the distinct feeling that it was horrible. In her ancient memory, she could feel the wind drying the tears on her face at a rapid pace. She remembered the dizziness, the vertigo of falling. Heartbreak was the most painful thing she'd ever known. And yet, she couldn't remember anything except the feel of warm thick arms pulling her into an embrace. Feeling cherished after so long without. 

        Standing there now, asking Dot to do the unthinkable on purpose, drudged up the vision of Aphrodite. All softness and curves, smelling of sweet Greek things. She wore her hair black then, and long around her shoulders in tiny ringlets. Aphrodite was a vision. She was the the good that came from Love. Geneva remembered receiving a kiss that filled her to the brim with happiness like she'd never known. 

        "When you fall, agapi, make sure someone is there to catch you," Aphrodite murmured. 

        Geneva opened her eyes and frowned. Why was it so hard to see that memory? Why was it even harder to see around it, to the one right before it. She'd loved someone desperately who didn't return her feelings. And then what happened?

        "Gen?" Dot asked cautiously.

        "...Will you do it?" Geneva asked again. But she knew better now. Even before Dot said her answer, she knew.

        "Gen... You don't have a heart to break anymore." 

___________________________

Author's Note: 

So! This chapter is about half the size of the other chapters and I'm sorry for that. But I've been crazy busy and this was all I had on the line to edit. I was serious about changing the updating schedule last week. I'm going for Saturday. 

Since this chapter is so short, expect a longer chapter on Saturday with more background about Cupid!