Epilogue: I Love You

"Is he comfortable?" Geneva asked the receptionist at the door.

"He is. They're both watching the video slide that Mickey made for them," the woman said with a great big smile. She was a little tearful, and a little worried, but her entire being was lit up with something warm and almost magical.

"Maybe I should wait, then," Geneva said, unsure, as she looked past the receptionist to the hall that led to Brian and Lizzy's apartment.

"Oh, no. You can head up. Michelle and Andrew are already up there. And I think Mickey's coming soon, too," the receptionist replied.

"Mickey's coming?" Geneva asked.

"Mickey's here," a voice replied just behind her and Geneva turned around abruptly. The boy was slender, blonde, and tall. All of Lizzy's sharp features, and all of Brian's eyes and charm. He smiled so big at Geneva that she felt her heart thud in her ribs just seconds before she reached out and drew the boy into her arms.

"I thought you were in California! What are you doing here?" Geneva demanded.

"I wanted to see Grandma and Abuelo one more time," Mickey replied.

"Oh, sweetie, are you sure? I...I thought you said your goodbyes last week when you came home for Lizzy's birthday."

"I did. Then I kept watching their weird videos and I couldn't bear the thought of not being here to see them enjoy it...I have to be here, Gen," Mickey replied as he ran a hand through his blonde hair. His eyes were rimmed with red and his nose began to glow pink in the way Lizzy's did when she cried.

Mickey didn't cry though. He straightened, threw on a big smile, and leaned to the side to say hello to the receptionist. "Hey, Brook. Gorgeous as always."

"Hi, Mickey," she replied evenly without looking directly at the boy. Brook was at least fifteen years his senior, but she was not immune to his flirting. There was a smile tugging stubbornly at the corner of her mouth. "Go on up. I think they're waiting on you."

Geneva linked arms with Mickey and went with him to the elevator. Steeling herself to say goodbye.

"Do you remember how angry my mom was when you said Olive?" Brian asked Lizzy. Her head was on his shoulder on the big bed they shared. Michelle and Andrew sat quietly on either side of them, letting them reminisce in peace.

"She never understood why we were so crazy...I'm sorry you couldn't tell her," Lizzy replied.

"It was better that she didn't know just how close to death I was," Brian said. "Or how close abuela was!" He recalled that Adrian said that his boss, Hades, sat right next to Abuela.

"Yeah...Death was your best man. You were pretty damn close for sure!" Lizzy replied and everyone laughed until Brian began to cough a rough, dry rattle. On screen, Adrian in a suit dropped a slice of cake by accident into Geneva's lap.

Andrew got him some water and both Michelle and Andrew left the room after to leave their parents alone. A knock came soon after and Michelle went to the door to answer it.

"Auntie!" Mickey exclaimed and reached to hug her.

Michelle drew him into a great big hug, nearly picking the boy up off of the ground. "God, I can't believe it! I used to throw you up in the air. Now I can barely lift you!"

"It's my turn now!" Mickey replied, and wrapped his arms around her waist to lift her up. She squealed and laughter filled the room the way it frequently did when Mickey was around. Geneva knew it was good for him to be there, knew that this was what Lizzy would have wanted too.