24: Lava

"What's wrong, Genny?" Lizzy asked, her voice melodious, lilting with the knowledge that there was something wrong.

"Nothing's wrong. Why would you say that something was wrong?" Geneva asked quickly as she continued to text the DJ furiously.

It was T minus 6 hours before the wedding and they were having a peaceful spa morning. Lizzy sat on her back with her favorite mud mask on her face, and two cucumber slices over her eyes. There was a woman massaging her foot and calf because Lizzy knew she'd spend a lot of time on that foot tonight, dancing her ass off.

"You're normally...chattier than this," Lizzy replied.

"It's a spa...I'm relaxing," Geneva lied. She was still texting, which meant that, even though her face was covered in goop, she was not relaxing. In fact, in order to see what she was texting, she stuck her cucumber slices to her cheeks, and wiped some of the gunk from her eyebrows.

The DJ was backing out because he was sick. He had found a replacement for himself, which was really nice of him, but the replacement was a friend of his who did old school mixing and didn't like to use MP3s. So that meant that Geneva had to verify whether or not he had any of the latest music on LPs, and if not, how she could get her hands on something with only 6 hours left before the ceremony, and 2 hours before the dancing!

"Mmhmm," Lizzy murmured, unconvinced. "Can I help you in any way? Want me to call the wedding planner?"

"What? No! You're not lifting a finger today, Mrs. Bride. That's why we're at a spa, so someone else can lift your fingers for you," Geneva began. "And as your maid of honor, I insist that you believe every word I say because I am honorable and would never, ever lie to you about anything ever. The end."

That managed to get a laugh out of Lizzy but she didn't press the issue further. "Okay, Cupid. I'll let you handle it."

And handle it, Cupid fucking did.

Well, actually, it was a joint effort. Geneva sent out a mass text to all the Cupids in the area who got in contact with their own networks, to find Geneva's list of songs. Five contemporary vinyl records found their way to the wedding via Dot leaving and coming back right before the ceremony. There was still one vinyl missing from Death Cab For Cutie. The ever important first dance song.

"Are you sure this musician made an album like this? It looks antiquated. Didn't you tell me that everything was digital now?" Adrian asked her as he turned the Beyonce vinyl cover over in his hands before handing it over to the wedding planner because it was time

"Yeah, they still make vinyl records. It's a niche hipster thing now. They're a very nostalgic generation, a good balance between hyper fast instant gratification and slowed down appreciation for certain aspects of the past. Like vinyls and rebooting old movies." She smiled at Adrian. "Brian is a total hipster on the inside."

"You...look very beautiful, Cupid," Adrian said softly just as the commencement music began in its first delicate notes. He reached a black gloved hand out to touch her cheek and before taking her hand to tuck it into the crook of his.

"For a dead guy, you look pretty good yourself," Geneva replied. Her tone was gentle too, but there was always humor in her eyes. There was always something to smile about.

"Ready?" Adrian asked. And when Geneva nodded, he parted the soft curtain of blush colored roses densely strung together with invisible fishing line and showed her the beautiful rows of white and blushing roses decorating the aisle. There was a chaotic burst of flower petals on the grass and standing at the altar was Aphrodite playing the officiate, and at her feet, Bilbo the corgi and an empty basket of petals covered in dog drool. Brian was there, facing Aphrodite, not yet given the cue to turn.