7. Death, Bar None

Brian attended to his other barflies to leave Geneva and Adrian alone to talk after a stilted introduction. He looked a little wary of the couple but not worried for Geneva. She was a wild flirt as much as he was and they were kindred spirits. Flirtatious folk were often lonely types on the inside. He'd seen her enough to know that she watched others with a longing that she hid beneath pretty eyes and coy smiles. 

        And though they'd flirted casually with one another without any progress toward anything coming from it, Brian was certain that Geneva played an important role in his life. She stood out the brightest among anyone there. Anyone, that was, until Geneva's boyfriend. 

        The other man was not too lean, but didn't look as though he spent much time in the gym. At first glance, he seemed very average, Brian thought, but the more his eyes strayed back to the darkly dressed man, he saw little things that might make Adrian appealing to other women. Or men. The other man possessed a symmetry to his face that Brian liked. Very expressive brows and a generally honest countenance. 

        The man was too serious though. Not once did he see Adrian smile at Geneva. They were huddled together and murmuring too quietly for him to well. The times he wandered closer, he'd caught whispers of words like "Love, death," and "Lizzy." If there was another woman in Adrian's life, Brian's own chances with Geneva would be higher. Perhaps they'd break up tonight, he thought hopefully.

        When Geneva got up and left suddenly, Brian was almost giddy, but then he turned and looked at Adrian. Really looked at him. The longing that he'd seen hidden in Geneva, that he knew he possessed himself, masked but charm, he could see plainly on Adrian. There were no masks, no pretense. Adrian wore his emotions shamelessly on his face. The other man had it bad for Geneva. 

        Adrian didn't need a rival, he needed a friend.

~~~~~~

        Death watched her leave. She'd been upset that he was spying on her, upset that he'd changed his clothes, and even more upset that he'd lied to the bartender about their relationship. He'd never seen her angry before. She smiled even when she was displeased with him, and all the warmth in her turned to blistering fire. She'd called him names but spoke with an eerie calmness. 

        Geneva spoke so quietly too, so that he would have to lean in to hear her. She'd gotten close to him and he could feel the bite of her words all the better with their proximity. Even in her anger, he was hoping that she'd kiss him. It seemed important for the bartender, Lizzy's intended, to see them kiss. To see that Geneva was unavailable. But she abruptly stopped talking and stood, grabbed her purse, and stormed out of the bar. Disappointment and frustration blanketed him. 

        Of course he shouldn't want her to kiss him. Her touch was too potent a thing.

        The bartender, Brian, refilled his brandy and said, "It's on the house."

        Perhaps it would be better now that the Cupid made her exit. He had no idea why she was flirting so carelessly with her Client's soulmate. 

        "Thank you," Adrian replied and was prepared to leave it at that.

        "I didn't know she was with you. I don't normally ask women out while I'm on the job. But..." Brian said in a tone that sounded like apology but held no regret.

        "She's special," Adrian finished and was taken aback by his own admission. It seemed so easy after that. All his woes spilled from him. Without intending to, he'd offered Brian the soft sweet secret feelings he'd felt for Geneva in the past month as if the bartender was some wide open receptacle.