17. Returning to the Basics

Geneva spent as much time with Lizzy as she could. Watching over her friend helped the Cupid forget about her own problems. She'd allowed herself to mostly forget about what Dot claimed. But the issued lied in the fact that, after she'd shot that woman in the grass, her heart felt the teeny tiniest fraction better.

She could recognize that, long ago when she'd loved a man, her heart was similarly tortured. She couldn't quite reconcile the fact the it was swollen now due to Adrian or if it was due to the fact that her heart was already too full. So she made it a point to avoid Adrian. He only ever came to her when she summoned him. For this, she was grateful because she didn't think she could manage to deny him anything if he was sitting there on her bed with his heart in his eyes.

Did Adrian have a heart? Or was he like her? It would have been a very funny coincidence that two beings, neither without a heart, could find one another in love so unerringly. Life was sort of funny that way, Geneva thought.

"Are you okay?" Lizzy asked as she placed an elegant hand on Geneva's bare shoulder.

"Hm? Oh...Yep. Right as rain," Geneva lied and smiled her brightest smile. The Cupid saw doubt in her friend's eyes but felt relief when Lizzy didn't push her.

Lizzy didn't usually push. She placed roads down, she even made bridges, and sometimes when Lizzy was feeling particularly strategic, she'd corner. But she didn't push. Quiet, patient, and intense like a fearsome tactician.

"Anyway, I'm more interested in you and how you feel," Geneva said. She was definitely deflecting but she was also concerned about Lizzy's emotional well being.

Last week during a check up, the doctor informed Lizzy that her residual limb was healing very well now that the infected section has been removed. He'd also informed her that, after the swelling diminishes, they could begin measurements for a prosthetic. The days after were spent calmly selecting a model that suited Lizzy's style and level of activity.

"I'm good. I'm only taking over the counter painkillers now. Works great," Lizzy replied. She was smooth in her reply as if she were glossing over her own feelings.

Geneva didn't push. She often pushed her friend, but she held back because she didn't want to be hypocritical. Lizzy would deflect, Geneva knew, and the Cupid wanted to avoid any confrontation that would lead to issues of the heart.

"I...I'm going to go on a walk. Would you like to get some fresh air?" Geneva asked after a moment of awkward silence.

"No, I'm exhausted," Lizzy replied honestly. She'd finished a physical therapy session earlier and looked a bit frazzled. Geneva was a little relieved for the solitude she might have.

"Okay, I'll check back with you a little later. I'll bring over Thai, yeah?" Geneva offered as she stood up and stretched.

"That sounds amazing," Lizzy said as her shoulders relaxed and she sank back into her chair.

Geneva kissed her friend quickly and left the apartment. She made her way to the park and sat on a bench in a crowded area. The very same bench she'd sat on with Dot when the Heartbreaker revealed to her the intricacies of love. Her feet brought her there automatically.

Around her, people were jogging, walking, picnicking, and even reading. There were more people than the last time because the weather was warm and it was a Saturday afternoon. And though not everyone was smiling or laughing, Geneva could sense a communal well being. The weather was a balm on any poor mood. Except for her own, of course.

Her heart was aching and she considered Dot's theory. When the thought entered her head, Geneva felt the smooth grip of her bow in her hand. Her heart swelled with anticipation of being used and Geneva stood.