Public

This is the fifth chapter. Hope you enjoy it. By the way, I've made a change, that after the transformation, Garth's accent now sounds more French Canadian.

A few minutes later, Garth and the others were inside an erected tent. Garth sat silently atop some a red box on Johnny's right, deep in though about what had happened the last few minutes, about him surviving being engulfed in fire, also listening to what the firefighters and policemen were saying outside. "How 'bout those guys?" He heard one of them ask, probadly referring to him and Ben. "I don't know. I tell you what, I never seen nothin' like them before." Another one said. "I told you I felt fine." He heard Sue say. Garth then tilted his head leftwards to look at Ben's sad looking face. "Where are your ears?" He heard Johnny ask, before Ben looked at Johnny. "There are some folks outside that want to talk to you." A man's voice said, which made Garth move his head rightwards to see a fireman enter the tent and walked up to Reed. "We're not going public with this. We're scientists, not celebrities." Reed replied to him. "It's too late, son. Look." The fireman said, before he walked over to a nearby to and switched on, which showed the news talking all about their rescue. "See that? That's what they're calling you- the Fantastic Five." The fireman said. "Cool!" Johnny said enthusiastically, before turning around and started walking out the tent. "What? That is not sweet at all, eh? They can't just make a name and just assume..." Garth began thinking in his head, as Sue turned to look at Johnny. "No, wait! What are you doing?" Sue asked Johnny, which made him stop and turn to face her. "I'm gonna go talk to em'." Johnny answered. "No! We should think this through" Sue said back sternly. Garth agreed, hoping Johnny wouldn't get any bright ideas. "That's great. Brainstorm." Johnny spoke, gesturing with his hands before running out.

Garth watched as both Reed and Sue's eyes widened and they then ran out after Johnny. Garth rolled his eyes and huffed before getting up on his feet and following them. "Get back here right now! Johnny!" Sue cried after her brother, but he took no notice as he stopped in front of the dozens of reporters who then began clamouring with questions. Garth came upon the reporters with Sue, Reed and the fireman. His shoulders were tense as he felt very embarrassed. "which one of you is the leader?" The fireman asked, stepping in front of them. "That would be me." Johnny answered eagerly. "No, seriously." The fireman asked, not falling for Johnny. Garth looked leftwards at Reed, who looked at him, so Garth gestured with his eyes to move. So Reed took a step forwards and nodded at the fireman "Okay, son, your on." The fireman said, before moving out of the way. Reed then stepped forwards and the reporters then focused on him. "Uh,... during our recent mission to the Von Doom space station,... we were exposed to as yet unidentiftied radioactive energy." Reed explained nervously. "What happened on the bridge?" "How can you stretch?" "Are you fireproof?" "Are you really on fire?" "Is it true you can fly?" The reporters then asked one by one. "Yeah, I'm working on it. It's actually really difficult..." Johnny began answering before Sue stepped up. "No, actually, we do not know much more this than you do at this point. We will be going directly to our lab to analyse our symptoms." Sue explained, Garth thinking 'symptoms' was the wrong word. "Symptoms? Is this some kind of disease?" One of the reporters asked, so Garth took a step forward. "No! No, eh? Technically, these are more like side effects than symptoms." Garth explained rapidly, before Johnny then stepped forwards again. "If having special powers is a disease, then, yeah, we got it bad." Johnny said to them, which made Garth look at him with an 'are you serious' look. "Excuse me. That thing doesn't look so fantastic." One of the reporters said, pointing at Ben. "Ben Grimm is a genuine American hero." Reed said in defense. "What he means is, every team needs a mascot." Johnny said, which made some of the reporters laugh, and made Garth give him that look at again, seeing him place his left hand around around Ben, believing he was taking this too far. "A new day is dawning. The day of the Fantastic Five!" Johnny added, placing his right hand around Reed, brought them closer to him and the clamouring started up again. Reed then got out of Johnny's grasp and stepped forwards. "Look, look. We went up to space to find a way to understand DNA, cure disease, save lives. Well, now it's our DNA, our "disease", our lives on the line. Than you. No more questions." Reed said. Garth felt relieved that it was over.

Soon they were in a taxi, Garth lying down on the floor again, Ben in a police truck due to his change's, and they were driven to Reed's lab at the Baxter Building. They stopped and the others got out, allowing Garth to get out of the right hand side after Sue and Reed, seeing a load of people behind barriers, some holding up banners, cheering for them. "News travels fast." He said to himself as he walked into the building, feeling embarrassed again, his hands in his pockets and he just stared ahead at the buildings door. "Is all that for you, Dr Richards?" A grey haired receptionist asked as Garth entered. "I'm afraid so." Reed answered, as Garth turned around to see Johnny waving his arms, basking in it all. Turning back to face Sue and Reed again, he followed them to the lifts, noticing the receptionist staring at him with raised eyebrow as he walked past him. He stopped by Sue and Reed as an old white haired postman with sunglasses walked up to them. "Welcome back to the Baxter, Dr Richards. I've got the usual for you. Good to have you back, sir." The man said, handing Reed a bundle of letters.  "Thanks, Willy," Reed replied. Garth looked over Reeds shoulder to see it was mostly overdue stuff and final notices. "We had a tough year." Reed exaplined to them, he stepped into the lift. "Yeah, like, 9 straight." Ben said, as he and Garth and the others also stepped into the lift. Once they were all in the lift, the doors closed, Garth standing in between Sue, Reed and Ben. But there were then loud creaking sounds, and Garth felt that they weren't moving at all. "either we're moving really fast or not at all." Johnny spoke. Then an alarm rang, which made Garth look upwards to see a red sign flashing "Exceeding maximum weight", and it was pretty obvious to him why there was so much weight, and he turned to look at Ben as the doors opened, Garth taking a step away from Ben. "I'll take the stairs." Ben said sadly, before he stepped out and the doors closed. Garth then moved to where Ben had been. "Say, Garth, how come you and Ben can't turn it on and off like we can?" Johnny asked. "How am I supposed to know, eh?" Garth asked back, shrugging his shoulders. "That's what we're here to find out." Reed reminded them. "I mean, if it happened to you and him..." Sue began saying, but stopped. "What? You mean, like, we won't be able to turn it off either?" Johnny asked his sister, who didn't answer. "That would save time. Ha!" Johnny spoke, before Garth decided to get something he'd been thinking for the last few minutes out of his system. "Actually, I have a theory about that. I think it has something to do with the fact that Ben and I were exposed to the storm with only our spacesuits on while you guys were inside shields." Garth said. "That's a good theory. And you don't really wanna walk around on fire for the rest of your life, do you?" Sue asked Johnny. "Is that a quick question?" Johnny asked dumbly, pointing his right index finger at her, Garth rolling his eyes. "Grow up." Sue said back. "Come on. Am I the only guy who thinks this is cool?" Johnny asked. "Yes." Garth answered a moment before the doors opened. 

He followed the others out. "We should stay here until we can find the extent of our changes and figure out how to reverse them." Reed explained. "If they can be reversed, eh." Garth thought in his head, seeing Reed throw the bundle of letters on a table against the right hand wall, before Garth then began letting his eyes process the size of the place he was looking in, which was bigger than he'd though. "Whoa." Johnny spoke, a second before Garth whistled. "Believe it or not, he lives here." Sue replied. "But I have to warn you, it's gonna be a little crowded in some areas." Reed warned as the lights came on. Garth walked with Johnny and Sue to a large grey circular area in the middle of the room, as Johnny chucked. "Som what do you think?" "I don't know, Reed. I think you might be bringing your work home with you." Johnny answered. "Come on. Let me show you guys where you'll be staying." Reed chucked, before he started to walk away. Garth turned around and went after him. "Busy guy." He heard Johnny mutter as he walked away from them after Reed.

And that's the fifth chapter done. Hope you enjoyed it. By the way, I'm from Britain, and I couldn't fully decide on whether to use "elevator" (UK) or "lift" (UK), so I just settled on "lift". I'll be going back to college this week (the British version), and I have no idea how busy I'll be, so apologies if the next chapter's take time to come out.