14

Rashta's POV

"Lady Rashta, your lunch is here." One of the maids have said as she entered my chambers.

She gently placed the food down and looked at my utensils. It wasn't as shiny as normally it would be. As per concubine status, I always have to use silver utensils. Gold utensils are used by Sovieshit and Navier, of course.

Even the palace has hierarchy appropriation on utensils T^T

Therefore, I can only assume that the utensils are stainless steel. 

I'm a prisoner under house arrest, so I guess that makes sense. Maybe the maids just hate me so much that they took the law in their hands?

Or that's they want me to think.

I was a nerd in my past life and a huge fan of historical dramas, especially in the Joseon era.

Since I am basically imprisoned right now and my utensils were suddenly changed....

Could it be that my food is poisoned?

I only looked at my food and the maid. To avoid suspicion, I simply said that I was just hungry.

"No, Lady Rashta. You have to eat. Think of it as eating for the child in your womb too."

Are you concerned or you also just want to get your things done?

"Hmm... They did say that food is better being shared!"

I grabbed a spoonful of the meal and presented it to her.

"Come on! Have a taste." I said. The maid tried to hide her nervousness with humility.

"N-no, Lady Rashta... I couldn't possibly.... It's your food, besides, I have ate my lunch." She rejected the offer and bowed her head lower.

"I don't mind. It's just one bite~" I smirked underneath my breath and told her a convincing story about how slaves can only eat once a day.

The food was definitely poisoned. Besides, being cautious with food should be one of the things you should be wary about as a royal. Isn't that right, Sovieshu?

(A/N: Do you know what I mean? Comment here if you do hahaha) 

The maid suddenly groveled on its knees and spoke as she feared for her life. Her voice shook in fear.

"My apologies, Lady Rashta! My conscience couldn't handle it! What you did is wrong, but I couldn't possibly also harm the child you are carrying!"

Who in Earth would poison me in this kind of time? Sovieshu? Duke Ergi? Maids that really hate me?

In the original novel, Rashta died out of suicide by poisoning herself. Is this a foreshadowing?

I'm only trying to make things right! There are a ton of isekai manhwas where you get transmigrated as the villainess. You think they are not as annoying or evil originally?

At least there is one person from the real world is trying to make things right without harming the main protagonist too!

With that inner rant done, I looked at the maid.

"Who put you up to this? Tell me!" I angrily said to intimidate the maid

"I don't know! It was just the head maid had put something on the food saying it was good for you since you have troubles sleeping at night!"

I HAVE TROUBLES SLEEPING AT NIGHT BECAUSE I WOKE UP AS THIS TRASH, HOW ABOUT WE SWITCH PLACES, HUH?!

I looked at her in the most grim way I could think of, however that notion is interesting. The head maid?

That's interesting. I never knew they can also be relevant to this story, the only time I saw them mentioned was the infertile incident.

To think she's involved now. That's something that I should look upon.

I sighed to calm myself down and dismissed her using hand gestures.

"I won't tell anyone. Just send this food away."

Duke Ergi's POV

Luckily, Rashta was still continuing her lessons, upon the request of the Emperor.

Huh. He still wants her to be an Empress? Tsk tsk tsk.

I went to Rashta's room and bowed. Seeing a maid hurriedly run out of the room.

"What happened this time?" I just casually said and settled the books needed for our lessons, then sat down.

"Someone tried to poison me." She said, holding onto her head as if she has a headache.

I mean, if I were her, I'd have a migraine too. Although, that's quite entertaining. She is someone who is deemed as a threat, instead of a puppet.

How cute.

"Do you have any suspicions on who might do it?" I asked.

"Hmmm... I don't know, but that maid told me that the Head Maid put the poison in my food. I can't really trace it. It can be, Sovieshu or just a silly prank they want to pull on me."

I nodded and smirked. "Or me." I was about to suggest that it was the Empress' doing, but I don't think that'll work.

Rashta has changed ever since she woke up from her fainting incident. I want to see how would that unfold

She rolled her eyes on me and grabbed a book to read as we started our lessons. While looking at the clock and thought about how the trial will be held tomorrow.