15

And so, the long awaited trial addressing the rumours regarding the pregnancy of Emperor's Sovieshu has begun.

Rashta was then gently escorted by the knights towards the trial room and gently sat down

While the Emperor and Empress sat on their thrones to witness the whole thing.

He seemed to distressed about what's happening and Navier just analyzed his body language.

What kind of secrets would be unveiled?

Afterwards, the Lotteshu family also arrived, bound by the Imperial guards as well.

Viscount Lotteshu glanced at his former slave filled with angst at the situation she has put them in. Rashta only responded by looking away and letting out a soft "hmph"  as to mock him.

Libetti, the youngest and only daughter of the family, sat down quietly and looked at the Empress as if asking for help.

Empress Navier nodded, as if it is assured that she would be spared. After all, they have been friends and it is known that the only sin Libetti committed was act according to her status and one of the flawed laws of the Eastern Empire.

The trial begun as one of the council members stood up and gave their opening statement.

"We are all gathered here today to address the underlying issues within the identity of Lady Rashta's child that could further affect our empire's future. I would like to call on Viscount Lotteshu to testify, since he was the former master who once owned the said concubine." 

Viscount Lotteshu angrily took the stand while he was handcuffed. He pressed his bound hands onto the witness stand.

"I don't even know why I am here! I have nothing to do with that slave anymore since she is now a plaything for His Majesty!"

His vulgar words put on a smirk on some nobles and some murmured in accordance to the recent reveal of her "true" identity as a daughter of a nobles with little to no political influence, nevertheless she was a noble in paper.

"I believe ranks are still a matter of importance here, Viscount Lotteshu. Lady Rashta may be the accused, but please do refrain from sullying her name, all because of her past."

Empress Navier stated which shocked most nobles and the guests in the trial, specifically King Heinrey, who smiled as the empress showed her benovelence towards her husband's mistress.

Emperor Sovieshu looked at his wife's words and fiddled with his fingers even more. 

Navier then looked a little suspicious about her husband's weird reactions. Shouldn't he be at least glad that Navier protected her since, whether liked or not, Rashta is now a part of the Imperial Family?

On the side of Rashta, she seemed hurt from what was told to her. She looked down and clenched her first, but let out a composed look.

Rashta's POV

"I don't even know why I am here! I have nothing to do with that slave anymore since she is now a plaything for His Majesty!"

Hearing those from Lotteshu's mouth made me less regret what's bound to happen for this trial. Although, I was a little hurt, but it's true for canon Rashta anyway.

It melted my heart when Navier scolded him and thought about my dignity. Maybe as a fellow woman? Eitherway, I am just thankful.

Even if she's doing it out of duty, I know Navier still cares. However.... that notion made Sovieshit more nervous?

I looked at him fiddle with his fingers on his arm rest. He may on top of the court, but his body language speaks of it all.

The line of questioning began.

"We have received a tip that you have been extorting Lady Rashta's budgets as a concubine for your own vanity. Is that true, Viscount Lotteshu?"

Lotteshit gritted his teeth, not knowing how to answer that question.

Well then~ Are you going to tell the truth or no?

"Where did you know that?! You have no proof!"

The council member gave a signal to my maid. She went on the stand and admitted to see Viscount Lotteshu enter my chambers empty handed and come back with gold coins coming out of his pockets.

"Is there anyone who wants to testify to this accusation?"

Duke Ergi raised his hand and testified that once before giving me my daily etiquette lessons, he had noticed I was stressed after he had seen the Viscount leave my chambers.

"Are these accounts true, Lady Rashta?"

I gulped. "Yes, it was true. Viscount Lotteshu had visited me several times, but the first time I summoned him, it was because I want to reward him for actually doing the good thing for Rashta and setting her free to be with His Majesty... But he suddenly wanted more money from me and he threatened to----" I started tearing up and faking my cries.

I guess being a part of the theater club and working as an assistant to a celebrity were all worth it.

"Threatened what, you bitch?! Hahaha tell the court the whole truth about your promiscuity! Let's see who they will believe! A slut like you or a refined Viscount!"

He laughed maniacally and waited for me to speak. I know he purposely said that to put the pressure on me into admitting my past relationships.

I could see Libetti trying to calm him down as she didn't want to look embarrassing in front of her beloved Empress.