Chapter 17 - Ruby

I pull the rope of the well when I see the water has been collected in the wooden bucket. The bucket lifts up with every pull, water splashing out from it as it slowly comes up to me.

As the bucket arrives at the edge of the well, Laila bends down and unravels the handle from the bucket. She sets it aside carefully, not wanting any more water to be wasted. I look to her, wiping sweat on my forehead and she ties an empty bucket to the rope of the well.

" You could've done this yourself, " Laila mutters as she drops the bucket into the well, clanking against the walls and echoing before reaching the water with a splash. I catch the rope before it could unravel altogether and glare at her.

" I can't hold four buckets of water in two hands, Laila, " I say, calmly.

" Did you even try? "

" Stop talking or I'll burn all your dresses, " I say, pulling up the other bucket up. It's the last bucket. The other three buckets are arranged nicely next to the well. Laila bends down and picks up two of them.

Her elbows droop after she straightens her body back up as the buckets are heavy. I smirk at the sight and I remind myself that she is not used to doing works like this.

I'm the one in the family that feeds them all. Mother grows the green that couldn't be found in the forest but what does Laila do?

Nothing, that's the answer, I thought as we walk through the market. Though I could not see any white puff in my breath, the air is still cold, Winter leaving its trail. Merchants are shouting from all sides, calling to buy whatever things they sell.

Laila's head is already looking back to the few gems being sold by a merchant and she slows her walk.

I sigh. " Come on, Laila. We can't afford those, you know it, " I say when her eyes glisten at a ruby. I won't lie, the gem is beautiful even to me but I know it would be a waste of money. The merchant is clearly happy when he sees Laila turning around and walking towards him, completely ignoring my words.

Following her back, I grumble under my breath. She sets the bucket on the ground and bends her knees to look at the ruby that caught her eye earlier. I look at the merchant who is staring at Laila's breasts that is pushed up by the dress she's wearing and I can feel my face redden.

Whether it's shame or anger, I do not know. I'm wearing my usual robe, overworn and not in any way showing any of my chest's skin. By his clothes, I know he is not from the Outlands nor Valaria. Maybe somewhere across the sea.

Laila's fingers linger at a small ruby when I pull her by the crook of her arm back up. She groans and pauses for a second to smile at the merchant before picking up the two buckets she placed on the ground. I'm glad she follows me this time.

The merchant still eyes Laila when we walk away, I saw when I looked over my shoulder to give him a deathly glare. I do not know why I suddenly uncomfortable and angry when someone eyes my sister. Maybe because our face is so similar and I feel as if they will do whatever things they dream to do with Laila to me too.

We walk until the other people pass around us and out of the merchant's hearing when I say, " Did you see how the merchant was looking at you? "

Laila doesn't look at me and keeps walking. " He's attracted to me. What's wrong with that? " My question is answered with another question.

I scoff loudly. " He was staring at your chest for gods' sake. Do you have no shame? "

" It works as a distraction, " she smiles. My eyebrow creases together as I try to make sense of her words. What is she talking about? Oh, gods. Don't tell me she would-