Chapter 4 - The Second Prince

I take a second to gather my breath. Prince Ethan? I've seen Prince Caspien. He came here once on his sixteenth name day but I have never seen the second prince. Not even a portrait of him. He is often forgotten, overshadowed by the first but there are words of him. On a better look, I can see the Valarian mark on the back of his hand, a golden lion, marking him as one of the royals. I grit my teeth together as he smirks at my reaction. His smile somewhat annoys me and I spilled " That doesn't give you any reason to disturb my hunting. You are scaring the animals away. " 

" Why do you even need to hunt? ", he asks.

" I wouldn't want my family to die just because you can't feed your people's already plump bellies, now would I? " I said. It was rude but I feel justified by this. His not plump, if anything his fit. He's no Caspien but he's certainly not lacking.

His smile drops slightly. I continue, " And what is the prince of Valaria doing in the forest? " 

" I was searching for some peace but now clearly I won't have it, " he said, almost sarcastic.

" No, you won't. " I said. He turned his green eyes towards mine.

" What's your name, maiden? " 

" I'm no maiden, " I hissed.

" Fine, what's your name, " he paused for a second, " hunter,"

I gave him a look, " Cathellyn, Cathellyn Anders, " I answer.

" Well, Cathellyn, have you seen a necklace around here? A golden one? "

" No, why? " Sometimes I would find some sort of pendant or charm but never a necklace. 

" Nothing. If you ever find it, bring it to me, " he says.

" Why should I? Gold is valuable to the Outlanders too. "

His brows furrow together " You won't get much selling it. If you find it I will give you more money than the gold's value, " he says.

I consider his sayings for a moment. If I can find the golden necklace and sell it, I would be able to feed us for at least a few days. But if he'll give us more...

" Fine. But you better keep your word, " I say.

He gives me a smile. Not a sarcastic one.  Almost genuine. He broke the gaze and looks at the mountain. We stand in silence for a while. 

" I need to hunt. I'll give you the necklace if I find it, " I say.

" You have my thanks. I better go now. I don't want to scare the animals."

 He unties the horse's reins from the branch and mounts it. " I'll come back tomorrow, " he says and before I can say anything he lightly hits the horse with the reins and the horse gallops away. My mouth is open but no words come out. I make out a loud grunt, annoyed. I can potentially get into prison for threatening the prince but I doubt he will remember that.

I shrug my mind off it and continue hunting.

By the end of the day, I got a sack full of berries and greens, several squirrels and rabbits but the doe is nowhere to be found. It's good enough. At least we'll eat for the next few days. I sit around a tree while I skin the game and I take a look around the surroundings. The river is somewhat calmer but I cannot be sure with this one. The river can change it's current in moments but there's fish inside those clear liquid. I consider fishing but the water is freezing.

My mind came back to the golden necklace. I've been keeping my eyes open for it while I hunt, but it's nowhere to be found. Gold should be easy enough to spot. I decided that I'll look for it tomorrow.