Chapter 6 - Leaves of Autumn

I have been waiting for him for hours but he is still nowhere to be seen. I call his name again and the only thing answering me is the crunching of leaves under my feet. It has been a week since we made the deal and I haven't seen him since. He kept his promise, though. A few days after that, the messenger came again brought us the good news. The Valarians won't come again to collect the crops till early spring.

The crowds cheered and I can't hide my own excitement. Lives are saved because of the deal we made but Ethan was still nowhere in sight. I call out his name again and my hand slaps my mouth as I remind myself not to shout too loud. Some predators might be lurking nearby and I wouldn't want to be their next meal. Eventually, I gave up and make my way to the river.

I was planning to skin the game there when I see a tall figure on a horse. Even from far here I can notice the raven black hair of his. Ethan. I can feel myself filling up with excitement as he turns the horse around to me, noticing me.

I put my hands in the air and waved to him with a smile. He returns the smile and the horse trots to me. When he gets close enough to me, he pulls himself down the horse.

"You're late," I said, crossing my arms.

"I'm not late. You're just early," his face still plastered with the smile.

"Are you saying that I'm a week early?" I said arching one of my eyebrows.

He lets out a small chuckle "Sorry. My father was quite unhappy with me so he doubled my training in the fields. He won't let me leave."

"Is it because of the Outlands? Because you held up the rationing?" A pang of guilt hit me.

"Yeah. But Caspien agrees with me so it's really not that bad," he looks at me, "Don't worry, Cathellyn. It could've been worse," he says as if he knows what I was feeling. "How is the people there? Are they happy about that?"

"Oh, they are beyond happy. When the messenger sends the word, the folks were jumping up and down. Even my sister was happy as she can resume buying dresses," I say with a chuckle.

"You have a sister?" he says questioningly and I realize that he knows nothing about me and I know nothing about him.

We start to walk along the forest as if we are taking a stroll through a garden. He left his horse behind, knowing it will not run away.

"We're twins, actually. Though I am nothing like her. We even have a different hair color. Her's is brown. Laila is her name. We don't really get along."

"I know how you feel. I am nothing like Caspien too. He's the kind of guy that uses his fist before thinking anything. When we were smaller, I used to hide in the library to run away from Caspien." he sighs, a puff of white air coming from his mouth.

I frown and he looks at me. "Do you like reading?"

"Of course I do but we don't really have that many interesting books. Most of them are about history and I have read them a thousand times. My father used to tell me and Laila stories and legends before we go to bed." Many of the Outlanders don't know how to read but father was determined to teach us. I bite my lip as I remind myself that he is dead. Killed by a Valarian. And now I'm in the woods talking to their prince.

But he is not like them. He's different. He never said anything that hurts me. But again, I only know him for what? A week? Counting the days I didn't see him. Give him some time and he will show his true self, a voice said behind my head. I shrug it off and continue to walk with Ethan. I listen to him quietly as he talks about the castle.

I don't know why I'm letting myself open towards him. Ever since Father died, I've been shut down, closed and almost full of hate. At least, that's what I think. But this boy-- this Valarian-- manage to lighten a small part of my heart.